Where can I get a 5870?

Kasceis

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I keep checking newegg and its always out of stock! I had my eyes on the Asus and Sapphire ones.... now both are DEACTIVATED! ..Why is that, now the only ones left are from brands that I've never heard of... weird. Anyone have some advice on how to get a good 5870 from a trusted site and brand?

Kasceis

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I really don't like ebay. I just don't understand why all these cards are getting deactivated. First it says ETA: 11/16/09 and I get excited, then the next day... deactivated... The video card is the only part remaining for my build.. so im getting on edge here.

I had 2 opportunities in one week to get either a 5850 or a 5870. I passed them both up. I regretted it because they dried up quick. I set my sights on a 5850 and kept a bookmark right to the 5850's on newegg's site. I checked every 5 minutes for the length of time I was on the net that work didn't interfere. 2 weeks ago I hit the button and there was one there. I clicked on put in cart and ordered right away. Prior to this I had one in the cart on 2 different occasions and fiddled around to read reviews or to look at other stuff. When I went back it was no longer available. So I say know what you want, Select a couple of alternatives and when you see it buy it. Check very often. They've been showing up on a "more" regular basis that just a short while ago.... but still hard to find if you know what I mean.

cupholder

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I got the only VisionTek 5870 to be seen on Newegg. You'll need to refresh the actual item pages as the search results lag about 30-45 minutes behind actual stock. What this means is, it'll say Auto-Notify when it's actually there, or Add To Cart when it's already sold out. The item's page however will always be correct.

I got lucky with mine using an auto refresh firefox plugin and saw it pop up on the search. New item meant no one would've been refreshing its page.

In any event, it -really- doesn't matter what brand you buy aside from warranties. Practically every single 5800 card out there right now is going to be the ATI reference card. Maybe a cool sticker thrown on it, but no difference. (VisionTek doesn't put a gaudy sticker on, woot.) There are 2 5870s which have custom cooling, but those are the exceptions to the rule.

Best bet would be to have: Search pages, item pages, zipzoomfly, Amazon, and MWAVE on autorefresh from ~9am->2pm EST (Amazon could go on indefinitely, I had seen 5870s from less than reputable sites pop up at 4am).

An edit about auto-notify: I had seen a Power Color 5870 pop up once on its item page, and even added it to my cart. But I stupidly decided to contact Newegg chat to see if it was really available.(First time I encountered the search vs. item page lag) Before I even got to speak with the rep, it was gone. Never did I even receive an e-mail for the auto-notify. You may get one sometimes, but don't rely on it.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
It is better that you wait because the delay was caused by TSMC's 40nm GPU yield issue and TSMC is still trying to fix it. Getting it now then you risk to get the ones might still be affected by TSMC's 40nm yield issue...

This issue would delay both NVIDIA GT300 and ATI Radeon HD 5000 series...

Kasceis

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

Woah... whats this all about? Theres a recall or defect with these cards?

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

From what I understood, the reason why ATI did released some Radeon HD 5000 series in September is because back in May/June 2009, TSMC, the Taiwanese semiconductor company that makes 40nm GPU for both NVIDIA and ATI did announced that they successfully fixed the 40nm yield issue but later, in October, this 40nm yield problem reappeared again or still persist so this is why ATI stop releasing more 40nm DX 11 video cards and there is the delayment. Maybe TSMC would successfully fix this problem by Christmas. :ouch:

Old news, saying that TSMC already fixed this problem:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/03/tsmc-40nm-problems-have-been-solved-sources/

But later, this problem re-occured again:
http://pchardwareblips.dailyradar.com/story/tsmc-40nm-yield-issues-resurface-ceo-promises-fix-by/

http://www.congoo.com/news/2009October31/TSMC-Facing-Yield-Issues-Process

So maybe yes that these early 40nm GPU cards are already kinda defected to begin with...

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

/facepalm

/tin foil hat

But you are right, what I learned in bussiness 101 was that the best way to make more money is to not let anyone buy your product for months at a time...

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Unless they are selling the cards at a loss, in a dirty attempt to hurt Nvidia. in that case, selling more cards would only cost more money. Selling just enough to keep the gen-pop from freaking out would be in order, if that were the case.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
maybe my tin foil hat is tight, but somehting is fishy according to these guys that actually talked to some peopel at the fab. it is odd

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/11/16/ati-58xx-parts-delayed-bit-more/

ATI could not have picked the worse time to release thier 5XXX series. If this TSMC issue is not resolved ASAP it will just keep hurting sales and the fact that it gives Nvidia more headroom for Fermi. More n more users are buying 4XXX and 2XX series due to the shortage. And I bet there won't be any 5850's or 5870's ready for black friday either :(

Kasceis

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Wow... I just got really excited.. I saw a Sapphire 5870 in stock at newegg just now, instantly added it to my cart and went to checkout, only to have it be removed due to limited stock being out... I was too late!!

I have ALL of my parts at home ready(all new including mouse/keyboard/speakers/monitor)... ALL I need now is a video card, this is driving me crazy!