Closed Solved

Cooler Master AMD AM3 Cooler to replace the stock cooler

Hi,

I want to replace the stock cooler as the CPU temp is pretty high in the BIOS (more than 50 C :ouch: ). But the system is running fine.

The retention lever is unhooked as it got deformed when I tried to reinstall the stock cooler :( . (cud be the reason for the high temp)

Can this be a better replacement?

http://www.flipkart.com/cooler-master-amd-am3/p/itmd7bxapfma3jkj?pid=COLD7BXAUKCZMGD7&_l=YyGvnmS3pyjmD+sBnTpvKw--&_r=k61QhD4OwDey6XZqFiLM6Q--&ref=4c3d243a-df9f-4382-ae76-4021a2293ced

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Here are the specs:

MSI GF615M P33 mobo
2x 4Gb RAM DDR3
AMD Phenom II 970 X4 at 3.5 Ghz
XFX Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 1 Gb DDR5
500 Gb HDD
LG DVD Writer 16X
550 W XFS PSU
Intex Red Berry Case with 2 case fans on the left side

Is this config good for overclocking? Please suggest upgrades(if required) to make the build achieve a stable overclock.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cooler master cooler replace stock cooler
  1. Best answer
    it will work assuming the holding bracket around the socket is not damaged also
  2. I opened up the case and saw a lot of dust accumulated.Cleaned up everything nicely. Now the temperature is down by 10 C :D ! Thanks a lot dirtyferret .

I've ordered the cooler master amd am3 cooler I mentioned for around $5.6 . Will repost here while I install it.
  3. Best answer selected by avimanyu786.
  4. Money wasted, that new HSF is not compatible at all :( .

Stock cooler is running fine. Was able to overclock from 3516 Mhz to 4026 Mhz :bounce: !
  5. What was the issue?
  6. avimanyu786 said:
    Money wasted, that new HSF is not compatible at all :( .

Stock cooler is running fine. Was able to overclock from 3516 Mhz to 4026 Mhz :bounce: !

you can oc with the stck cooler ??? What are your temps ? When I tried to oc with stock cooler temps hit over 65 c @3.7 , cpu would hit 60c + just playing BF3 at stock speeds . Surprised you can hit those clocks with stock hsf and not overheat . And the cooler you linked to id good for a 65w cpu , not a pII X4
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooler Master Cooling Overclocking