Screen tearing?

I recently built a new PC and have been getting quite a bit of screen tearing. I've mainly tried Crysis and Mass Effect. Running on max settings for both.

What I get happens mostly in cutscenes, but sometimes also while in actual gameplay as well. It looks identical to this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Tearing_%28simulated%29.jpg

What could be the cause of this? Is it monitor related or GPU related? What can I do to fix the issue?

Specs: (No overlocking)
CPU: Intel Core i5
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
GPU: Asus Radeon 5850
RAM: G.Skill 4gb (2x2gb) DDR3 1600
PSU: Antec True Power New 650w
HDD: 500g 7200rpm Samsung Spinpoint F3

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T220
14 answers Last reply
More about screen tearing
  1. Have you turned v-sync on?
  2. Yeah, screen tearing is usually easily fixed with v-sync
  3. Yup I've tried it both with V-sync on and off.
  4. Hmm, if the screen still rips w/ vsync on, is it possible it is a monitor issue? Refresh rate probs or something. Normally vsync fixes that easily.....Just for kicks, i would try a different monitor.
    Also, this may be a redundant question overposted, but are you running the latest drivers? That is a relatively new card...
  5. Alright updates: Mass Effect seems to fix screen tearing with V-Sync, but it still sometimes happens just very rare. V-Sync doesn't seem to have much of an effect on Crysis though.

It's still pretty bad. Yeah, I've updated to the latest drivers. I think it's a monitor issue as well, but unfortunately I don't have another capable PC to test these games on to see if the monitor is the problem :(
  6. Anonymous said:
    Alright updates: Mass Effect seems to fix screen tearing with V-Sync, but it still sometimes happens just very rare. V-Sync doesn't seem to have much of an effect on Crysis though.

It's still pretty bad. Yeah, I've updated to the latest drivers. I think it's a monitor issue as well, but unfortunately I don't have another capable PC to test these games on to see if the monitor is the problem :(

No, I'm saying, hook a different monitor up to this pc and see if the issue persists.....
  7. I meant I don't have that either at my apartment, I should be able to borrow one though - definitely going to try that tonight.

Thank you.
  8. Hmm. Are you using the default resolution for the monitor?
  9. No, I'm saying, hook a different monitor up to this pc and see if the issue persists.....

What if the other display shows it as well? Does that mean its the video card?
  10. Well, it means, barring some weird monitor setting, that the monitor is not the cause of the tearing. IE< wrong refresh rate, not using native resolution, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean it is the video card, but yeah, it should mean it is something in the system. I would guess videocard....more accurately, videocard driver.
  11. Alright it's the monitor. I was able to borrow a friend's LCD and it works flawlessly on his. Not a single tear or hiccup anywhere.

Supposively there's a ton of problems with this monitor as well as I've been researching it a lot. Guess it's time to call up Samsung.
  12. Anonymous said:
    Alright it's the monitor. I was able to borrow a friend's LCD and it works flawlessly on his. Not a single tear or hiccup anywhere.

Supposively there's a ton of problems with this monitor as well as I've been researching it a lot. Guess it's time to call up Samsung.

Good deal, easy fix. Before getting rid of the monitor though, I would see if anyone has a spare dvi cable you could borrow. See if maybe something about the cable was faulty.
  13. Odd...a 60Hz LCD shouldn't have ANY tearing problems, especially the Syncmaster line, which has really low Pixel Response Time...guess a defective moniter then.
  14. IT's simple, happened me once with crysis, and the problem that i was enabling the Lucid Virtu...Just disable it and run the game, you should do fine, seams that Lucid didn't cut out the edges pretty good on crysis..
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics