Sign in with
Your question

Screen tearing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
November 13, 2009 2:14:17 AM

I recently built a new PC and have been getting quite a bit of screen tearing. I've mainly tried Crysis and Mass Effect. Running on max settings for both.

What I get happens mostly in cutscenes, but sometimes also while in actual gameplay as well. It looks identical to this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Tear...

What could be the cause of this? Is it monitor related or GPU related? What can I do to fix the issue?

Specs: (No overlocking)
CPU: Intel Core i5
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
GPU: Asus Radeon 5850
RAM: G.Skill 4gb (2x2gb) DDR3 1600
PSU: Antec True Power New 650w
HDD: 500g 7200rpm Samsung Spinpoint F3

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T220

More about : screen tearing

a c 271 U Graphics card
November 13, 2009 3:04:49 AM

Have you turned v-sync on?
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 13, 2009 3:21:31 AM

Yeah, screen tearing is usually easily fixed with v-sync
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
November 13, 2009 4:59:46 AM

Yup I've tried it both with V-sync on and off.
m
l
November 13, 2009 1:00:53 PM

Hmm, if the screen still rips w/ vsync on, is it possible it is a monitor issue? Refresh rate probs or something. Normally vsync fixes that easily.....Just for kicks, i would try a different monitor.
Also, this may be a redundant question overposted, but are you running the latest drivers? That is a relatively new card...
m
l
Anonymous
November 13, 2009 3:56:14 PM

Alright updates: Mass Effect seems to fix screen tearing with V-Sync, but it still sometimes happens just very rare. V-Sync doesn't seem to have much of an effect on Crysis though.

It's still pretty bad. Yeah, I've updated to the latest drivers. I think it's a monitor issue as well, but unfortunately I don't have another capable PC to test these games on to see if the monitor is the problem :( 
m
l
November 13, 2009 3:57:47 PM

Anonymous said:
Alright updates: Mass Effect seems to fix screen tearing with V-Sync, but it still sometimes happens just very rare. V-Sync doesn't seem to have much of an effect on Crysis though.

It's still pretty bad. Yeah, I've updated to the latest drivers. I think it's a monitor issue as well, but unfortunately I don't have another capable PC to test these games on to see if the monitor is the problem :( 

No, I'm saying, hook a different monitor up to this pc and see if the issue persists.....
m
l
Anonymous
November 13, 2009 4:00:05 PM

I meant I don't have that either at my apartment, I should be able to borrow one though - definitely going to try that tonight.

Thank you.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
November 14, 2009 1:19:50 AM

Hmm. Are you using the default resolution for the monitor?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 3:31:49 AM

2019191,7,319411 said:
No, I'm saying, hook a different monitor up to this pc and see if the issue persists.....

What if the other display shows it as well? Does that mean its the video card?
[/quote]
m
l
November 16, 2009 1:24:17 PM

Well, it means, barring some weird monitor setting, that the monitor is not the cause of the tearing. IE< wrong refresh rate, not using native resolution, etc. It doesn't necessarily mean it is the video card, but yeah, it should mean it is something in the system. I would guess videocard....more accurately, videocard driver.
m
l
Anonymous
November 16, 2009 4:03:40 PM

Alright it's the monitor. I was able to borrow a friend's LCD and it works flawlessly on his. Not a single tear or hiccup anywhere.

Supposively there's a ton of problems with this monitor as well as I've been researching it a lot. Guess it's time to call up Samsung.
m
l
November 16, 2009 5:54:47 PM

Anonymous said:
Alright it's the monitor. I was able to borrow a friend's LCD and it works flawlessly on his. Not a single tear or hiccup anywhere.

Supposively there's a ton of problems with this monitor as well as I've been researching it a lot. Guess it's time to call up Samsung.

Good deal, easy fix. Before getting rid of the monitor though, I would see if anyone has a spare dvi cable you could borrow. See if maybe something about the cable was faulty.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2009 7:52:49 PM

Odd...a 60Hz LCD shouldn't have ANY tearing problems, especially the Syncmaster line, which has really low Pixel Response Time...guess a defective moniter then.
m
l
August 22, 2012 11:08:49 AM

IT's simple, happened me once with crysis, and the problem that i was enabling the Lucid Virtu...Just disable it and run the game, you should do fine, seams that Lucid didn't cut out the edges pretty good on crysis..
m
l
!