Question about i7 980X Vcore and prime95

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I just got my i7 980X a few days ago and I am having some issues overclocking. I have read the overclocking review on Tom's and they show how you can go as high as 4.4GHz with as little as about 1.289Vcore

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-980x-efficiency,2590-4.html

What they don't show is running any kind of stress test at that voltage. Other overclocking guides show voltages around the 1.35V range for 4.4GHz I had mine set to 4.2GHz and I can boot just fine with as little as 1.3V. When I try to run prime95, my system crashes until I hit the chip with a Vcore of 1.4. At that voltage, I immediately lose 2cores due to errors but the other 4 cores and 6 threads keep on running with no issues. I need to pump as much as 1.45V into it to be able to run prime95 but after 6 or 7 minutes I lose one of the cores due to an error. At 4.2GHz and 1.48V, I ran prime95 for about 45minutes with no errors and my coretemps ranged from 68 up to 74 degrees. I had my old i7 965X running at 4.0GHz with a Vcore of 1.4125 full time and it was rock solid but even that voltage seemed a bit too high. I currently have my 980X set to 4.0GHz with a Vcore of 1.425 in order to run prime95 stable. If I drop the Vcore to 1.4 I will lose one core after 2 or 3 minutes. After all the research I did before I bought the 980X, I thought I would be able to run higher clocks at a lower temperature with lower Vcore. So far, I can hit higher clocks at lower temperatures but I still need to pump up the Vcore in order to run prime95 with no errors. It's too bad none of the overclock guides that I have read used prime95 to test the stability. They all focused on benchmarking performance after overclocking.

What I am wondering is:

1. How high do you guys run your Vcores 24/7?
2. Should I really put all my faith in prime95? Afterall, it pushes a cpu well beyond what everyday use will do.
3. Is there a better stress test that I should be using?
4. Would be more realistic to use benchmarks as a test of my overclock?

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I figured out why my overclocking sucks. As it turns out, when you see 'confindential' printed on the chip it means that it is an engineering sample. I had no idea. Guess you live and learn. I will promptly be filling a claim with paypal tomorrow seeing as how the seller on ebay has not responded to my request for a refund. It had to be half the price of a retail chip for a reason. Though it would have been nice if he had mentioned somewhere in the add that it was an engineering sample. Friggin ebay.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

Depends what you buy. I got screwed but it was partially my fault for not doing research. I saw a cheap price and thought it was just a good deal. I have bought a number of pc related items and this is the first problem. It is usually a good experience. I usually aim for items that are warrantied based on serial number not original invoices. This was one of the exceptions and I got burned.

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
The seller offers a 7 day money back warranty and then a 90 day warranty after that. I also used paypal to pay for it so I will file a claim if I do not hear back from them today. I am not too concerned but I will certainly be more careful in the future.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Engineering samples are the property of Intel no matter what and can never be legally sold. So the eBay seller committed fraud buy telling anyone he had one to sell and theft by appropriating something that didn't belong to him and selling it. I'm sure Intel would like to know.

Intel® Corporate Security Investigations - corporate.security@intel.com

Anyway, sorry you got screwed and I hope you get it sorted out. Good Luck!

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
It was definitely a live and learn experience. Finally got my refund exactly 45 days after I made the purchase. I ended up opening a dispute which is strange because the seller had feedback of over 17000 with 98.1% positive but the majority of his sales were less than $100 and most of them were cameras and laptop parts. He admitted to not knowing anything about desktop processors and did appoligize after I threatened to go to paypal and intel. I did end up getting an i7 990x locally for close to $500 less than the retail price which came with the original sales reciept. I only lost 8 months on the warranty but I saved a lot on the retail cost. It works fantastically. I have a full time OC of 4.4GHz with a Vcore of 1.356V and it is 12 hour prime95 stable with a peek temp of 63 degrees on my noctua nh d-14. I have had it prime95 stable at 4.54Ghz and 4.67Ghz and 4.8GHz but at 4.8GHz the voltage was a scary 1.53 which kind of made me nervous since I read that some 990's died after pushing more than 1.45V through them. Prime95 also lost one core to an error at 4.8GHz so the Vcore was not quite high enough. Anyway, no more playing with voltages for me. Very happy with 4.4GHz.