Sign in with
Your question

What are some good ways to test my SSD's read-write speed?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
September 27, 2011 8:03:58 PM

I know that you cannot benchmark an SSD thoroughly without it succumbing to performance failures at some point in the drives' lifespan, but are there any measures I can take to test the drive's performance safely?
a c 311 G Storage
September 27, 2011 8:46:10 PM

1) We tend to use AS SSD as a quick speed test for sequential and random. It will also have the kindness to show you if the alignment is OK. This is the one that people usually post for "How is my SSD" or "My SSD sucks."

2) If it makes you happy compared to your previous system drive, then it's good.

3) You could probably benchmark it a hundred times without putting noticeable wear on it, but don't you have better things to do? If the disk is properly cleaned (fully TRIMmed or Secure Erased) after a thorough test then the performance should not be affected. You will be using up some of the limited write lifetime of the device by writing its full capacity over and over, but it probably has a few thousand cycles before it starts to have problems.

All I ever bother to check is AS SSD.
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 27, 2011 11:14:31 PM

WyomingKnott said:

3) You could probably benchmark it a hundred times without putting noticeable wear on it, but don't you have better things to do? If the disk is properly cleaned (fully TRIMmed or Secure Erased) after a thorough test then the performance should not be affected. You will be using up some of the limited write lifetime of the device by writing its full capacity over and over, but it probably has a few thousand cycles before it starts to have problems.

Ha ha, true. The only reason I wanted to get a benchmark score is because I've bought two of them in the last six weeks - an Intel 320 120GB for my home system, and a Crucial M4 for my workstation, and the IT guy at my company was inquiring about them and wanted to see some numbers before they decided to invest in them.
a b G Storage
September 28, 2011 12:47:45 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Ha ha, true. The only reason I wanted to get a benchmark score is because I've bought two of them in the last six weeks - an Intel 320 120GB for my home system, and a Crucial M4 for my workstation, and the IT guy at my company was inquiring about them and wanted to see some numbers before they decided to invest in them.

The IT guy can read the on-line the reviews, can't he do that?
a c 143 G Storage
September 28, 2011 1:06:51 AM

If the drive is for a workstation... I would look a neither of the drives myself. You would want to get an enterprise SSD like the Intel 700 or Kingston SSDNow KC100 to provide a longer write cycle and data protection.
a b G Storage
September 28, 2011 5:43:34 AM

Heh, we're a small business - cant exactly afford enterprise level hardware.
a b G Storage
September 28, 2011 5:49:13 AM

nikorr said:
The IT guy can read the on-line the reviews, can't he do that?

Yeah but I find the performance marks in the reviews almost never match real-world usage performance marks.
a b G Storage
September 28, 2011 6:06:06 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah but I find the performance marks in the reviews almost never match real-world usage performance marks.

"and the IT guy at my company was inquiring about them and wanted to see some numbers before they decided to invest in them."

So what numbers do u have for him?

I have Vertex2 and I can say it removed stuttering and busy mouse for good. And I have opened for most of the time Chrome in 2-3 instances running 200-300 tabs, virtual XP and some encoding in background in lowest process priority. And all is good. Anywhere between 4 to 6 HDD's hooked up. But I have lots of things removed or disabled in the OS to keep it as light as possible.

U have one, so u are getting used to it. It doesn't do justice, till u plug-in back the old HDD and do same things u are doing on SSD now. Its like going back in the history : )

I am the first who don't give a hoot about benchmarks.

!