Sign in with
Your question

So, just put all of my parts together, and am having some trouble...

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2009 2:21:35 AM

So I installed everything and turned it on for the first time and the gigabyte screen comes up with different options i can choose like post, etc.

it gets to the point where it asks for the system disk and when i insert it says it failed to find the system disk, and to insert it and then press enter.

does this sound like there's a problem from the cd rom drive to the motherboard? i messed up a connection somewhere with that you think?

also, the cd rom drive did not come with any cables, is that a problem?

i have two cables that came with the motherboard, will that fit it? one is for the HDD and the other is that for use with the cd rom?

More about : put parts trouble

November 5, 2009 2:28:26 AM

Is there any cable between the DVD drive and the motherboard? There should be two cables in the back of the DVD drive. One from the PSU, and the other which is the data cable. Make sure its plugged in. Getting some system specs would help here.
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:43:24 AM

hey sorry, i figured out the cd rom problem. just didn't have it connected to the motherboard properly, i had a cable going to the wrong spot.

but anyway, i put in the windows 7 disk, and now it loaded windows files, and now it's at a blue screen with a little leave and a bird, and nothing is happening...
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2009 2:44:47 AM

nevermind.. here we go.... so far so good... setup is starting...

should this be going this slow?

just to get to the part to let me choose to install it took a good five minutes where it was just sitting there.
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:45:48 AM

in the meantime... system specs?

ummm intel core i7 920
hd 5850 graphics card
gigabyte motherboard
what else should i list?
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:56:41 AM

it's asking me for a driver here in the setup, and i don't know what to do :( 
m
l
November 5, 2009 3:00:49 AM

You don't need THAT much hand-holding JT! Just wing it a little... you'll do fine.
m
l
November 5, 2009 3:03:17 AM

haha. well now i really am stumped. i have no idea what to do for this. it needs a driver before installing and i have no idea what i'm supposed to do. do i need to partition the hard drive before i install or something? and how do i get the drivers?
m
l
November 5, 2009 3:09:24 AM

Its probably asking for a SATA driver? Fast way to get around this is to change your SATA ports to legacy/IDE emulation. You can load the driver from windows later. It will require a reboot for you to set it up like that.

Not sure why its going slow. Bad disk or thermal throttling due to improper mounting of the HSF are the most common issues.
m
l
November 5, 2009 3:13:42 AM

4745454b said:
Its probably asking for a SATA driver? Fast way to get around this is to change your SATA ports to legacy/IDE emulation. You can load the driver from windows later. It will require a reboot for you to set it up like that.

Not sure why its going slow. Bad disk or thermal throttling due to improper mounting of the HSF are the most common issues.

improper mounting of the HSF? what's HSF?

that sucks, i hope i didn't do anything wrong.

Annnnnnnnnnd, i know i'm annoying, but I don't know how to do the emulation either. I expected to be able to put in the windows 7 disk and it would just install the operating system. guess i was wrong haha
m
l
November 5, 2009 4:04:09 AM

i inserted the cd from my motherboard to try to load the drivers and when i choose one it just takes me back to the "Where do you want to install windows?" screen...

anyone have any idea?
m
l
November 5, 2009 4:36:50 AM

When you are requesting help with a system, posting your system specs really helps us. Someone here will certainly be able to say, "Go into the BIOS and do ..." or "Look in your motherboard manual on page ##, and ..."

JTBALLER said:
improper mounting of the HSF? what's HSF?

The HSF (heatsink fan) is that thing that sits on top of the CPU. The Intel pushpins are notoriously difficult to mount properly. The best way to do that is to mount the HSF before you put the motherboard in the case. Makes it easier to inspect because you can look at the back of the motherboard. But that is probably not your problem.

JTBALLER said:
... but I don't know how to do the emulation either.

That's in the BIOS. RTFM. That's techspeak for "Read the, uhh, freakin' manual." :) 
m
l
November 5, 2009 5:13:42 AM

Hey thanks for your reply.

well, i didn't use the fan that came with the cpu, i installed another that i bought. i hope i did it right.

and as far as the bios, yeah i was looking around for a while but haven't really found it yet.

do you think that will solve the problem of not being able to get past the "Where do you want to install windows?" screen?

i put in an old windows xp with service pack 1 reinstallation cd for an old dell laptop, and it recognized the hard drive. so i don't see why it won't see it with windows 7 :( 
m
l
November 5, 2009 1:10:30 PM

Windows 7 does not need you to supply a driver for the harddrive. It has SATA drivers. You can leave your BIOS set to AHCI mode for the drive, that is not your problem. But I would say, at this point, go find a good friend who is a little more experienced to help you through this. The problems you are having, well lets just say that I am afraid you may really mess something up if you keep going like you are.
m
l
November 5, 2009 1:27:11 PM

how so? mess up the actual parts?

also, you say it doesn't need drivers, then do you know what drivers it is asking for when it says to load drivers if it is not for the hard drive?
m
l
November 5, 2009 2:10:02 PM

okay, well maybe i meant motherboard, but i was confused. because i'm trying to get the hard drive to show up so i can choose it to install windows to it.

but when i use the motherboard drivers on the disk, it won't work :( 
m
l
!