HORRIBLE problem with HD 4670

g0dzilla

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Hey everyone, I've had a terrible problem with my HD 4670 ever since I got it. I have a Dell XPS Studio 16 inch with a mobility HD 4670, 4gb ram, and a core duo T9550 2.66 ghz. I can run several games at full settings with solid fps, including Fallout 3, Oblivion, and HL2: Episode 2.

HOWEVER, i can not run Counter Strike Source at ANYTHING below the lowest possible settings. Even at the lowest settings, I get anywhere between 20-30 fps, with significant drops every few seconds.

This makes no sense considering I can run all of the aforementioned games very smoothly.

Any help would be extremely appreciated, thank you all for your time.

skolpo

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I think in Source, there is an option to set your graphics renderer as Software, OpenGL, or Direct3D. Set it to OpenGL if it isn't already. If that isn't the problem, I know there's a few console commands that addresses FPS but they're slipping my mind. Might want to look into those.

g0dzilla

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Thanks for the help everyone. I entered all of those commands, and it raised my fps slightly, from like 20 to 40.

40 is still playable, but its still not the best :/

And CSS doesnt seem to have an option for choosing between OpenGL and Direct3D?

Also, I'm running Vista 64 bit, and I'm not quite sure, but I think I have the latest drivers. Could someone link me with the latest one perhaps? I downloaded one a while ago, but it might not have been the latest one.

I just dont understand how I can run all of these new games that are so demanding, but I can barely run counter strike source, its really annoying :(

Thanks again for the help everyone, its greatly appreciated.

wallifoot

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Well considering Shubham1401 has a 9800GT, which is faster than a 4670, and he gets 40fps, I'd say it makes perfect sense.

I disagree, it doesn't make perfect sense. Shubham1401 had his settings "maxed out", whereas g0dzilla was using the lowest settings !!