Inspiron 8600 1.4GHz to 1.8GHz cpu

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
OK, so I've read that you can upgrade the cpu from 1.4 to 1.8-2.1 on the dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. I put a new MB in it (as this is a salvage job for my own use) and does fine; BIOS list the cpu as 1.4GHz along with cpuz and sys info. I s/o the cpu to a 1.86GHz but the BIOS still list the cpu as 1.4, I flashed the BIOS just a few day ago with the latest version (before the cpu s/o). Now cpuz sees it as a 1.86 but in sys info it looks like it's underclocking it with different stepping (1.86-8 vs the 1.4 at 6) also the FSB is at like 400, should be 533 and the cpu freq. is 599!? Make since to anyone, would I be better off just putting the 1.4 back in and say good enough? I'm just looking for the best performance dispite cpu speed/freq. I'd like to stay with the 1.86 b/c it has 2MB L2 vs 1MB L2 but whatever will give me best performance! Any info ANYONE can give woud be awesome!!! Thank You.

Solution
it should technically work but laptops are funny you never know what they are gonna do with hardware changes if u cant get it to recognize it i would just go back to the 1.4 your not gonna see much of a performace loss between the 2 as i could imagine your not doing much more then internet on it anyway rite?
it should technically work but laptops are funny you never know what they are gonna do with hardware changes if u cant get it to recognize it i would just go back to the 1.4 your not gonna see much of a performace loss between the 2 as i could imagine your not doing much more then internet on it anyway rite?

Solution

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Well, I hadn't really thought about it that way. I had the extra cpu and thought, why not, but you're right. For now all i'll be doing is just basic stuff a netbook could do. I have no plans to do graphics or anything of the sort. I was hopping the larger L2 would be of benifit though. Thanks, i think I'll do that and call it good.