Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help with LOUD Videocard.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2009 11:22:10 AM

Yesterday I went to a client's place to install them 2 computers, ups and other toys, transfer data from old pc to new....

Long story short, one of the 2 computers has an ASUS Geforce GTS250 and the fan is running at full force on idle...

Quite obviously, the clients being architects and not gamers, do not want the computer to sound like a hairdryer.

Wouldn't the Asus gts250 automatically raise and lower RPM speed ?

Any recommendations for a tool or software that I can install to control fan speed ?

I tried evga precision, didn't work

Riva Tuner, I found multiple options for fan speed and played around but had no success.

Any recomendations ?

PC Specs are: Athlon2 X2 3.0Ghz, 2x2 Gigs ram DDR1066, 250Gig HD, DVDRW, Antec Desktop Case, Asus GTS250 running on The wonderful Windows 7 that gave me the joy of realizing they removed classic view option in control pannel.

Small note of opinion.
Asus = Great motherboards, Good Videocards but blah
MSI = *** motherboards... the one with chipsetfans at least as they always die, Fantastic Videocards so far as they got better heat syncs + Fans on them.

More about : loud videocard

Best solution

November 13, 2009 12:53:17 PM

Take a look at this picture:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

If this is the card, or the card has a 2-wire fan/header, then it runs 100% and you can not adjust it by software. It's then not a good card for their intended use. You could look for aftermarket GPU cooler.

You can also knock down the voltage supplied to the fan and it will run slower/quieter, but caution needs to be taken as it will not ramp RPM if the GPU starts getting hot. See this thread for discussion on matching up to the small GPU fan header: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249954-33-8800gt-spee...

a b Î Nvidia
November 13, 2009 1:22:51 PM

I avoid cards with that cooler. How ever I use zalman after market coolers and they run silent.
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2009 1:28:55 PM

Thanks, I usually never have these issues, I get subcontracted for jobs of this nature and the one who built the damn things is a moron as I found stupid mistakes such as.

Windows 7 32bit on 4gig ram machine, 3.25Gig usable.

1 of the machines has a MSI 250GTS with the blower... runs silent.
The other machine has the Asus, just like the one pauldh linked...

I installed Nvidia system tools on my home pc (I access it via RDP, Uvnc in this case as RDP removed video options) I will figure out how to lower the voltage on cpufan and downclock the card a bit for the client.

Any similar tool recommendations are always welcome.

Thanks a lot :D 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 13, 2009 3:04:01 PM

C00lIT said:
the one who built the damn things is a moron as I found stupid mistakes such as.

Windows 7 32bit on 4gig ram machine, 3.25Gig usable.

Explain how this is a stupid mistake.
m
l
!