Is it safe to use MX-4 on CPU with Antec 620?

lancerx78

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
hi,

Very new to water cooling and overclocking, so I just wanted to start with something very simple and hassle free. I bought a Antec 620 and some Arctic cooling mx-4. I just wanted to make sure it was safe to use the thermal paste on the cpu while using the Antec 620 Kuhler. Thanks in advance for the help guys, very much appreciated.

Yes, you need to use some kind of thermal paste when attaching the cooler. MX-4 is a pretty good paste, and is non-conductive if you accidentally apply too much.

Remember, you only need a little, and there's different ways to apply it. I generally use an 'X' shape with thin lines; other ways include an asterisk-like shape, a single dot, or even a very thin layer over the entire CPU.

You especially want to make sure air bubbles don't form. That's why lines/dots/'x's tend to work best, since the pressure will cause the paste to spread out evenly without trapping air.

dont use too much i always spread the paste because then you dont put too much on. also whats the best thermal paste in the world?

I used to spread but it was too much work. Usually a drop a little smaller than a pea works well.

As for the best TIM, the best I can name off the top of my head are Shin-Etsu and IC Diamond. MX-4 is one of the better ones for GPUs (which really need to be non-conductive). There are plenty of tests done, but TIM generally only gets you 1-2C difference.

lancerx78

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

MX-4 should be ok for what im using it for right?

Yeah, it's among the better pastes. Really almost anything is better than the stock paste.

I was just saying that MX-4 tends to be used for GPUs mainly because it's non-conductive; that doesn't mean it's not a good paste. I had MX-2 on one of my secondary rigs and never had issues with it.

lancerx78

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

First let me say thank you to everyone who was so kind and helpful. It really is very much appreciated. And second, when you say a pea sized spot, you mean just squeeze out some mx-4 right in the center the size of a green pea? Just one shot? Also once I put the heatsink on the cpu, should I pull it back off to check and make sure it has good coverage on the whole cpu with all the paste? Sorry for the dumb questions, I am just new at this and trying to tap into all the knowledge around here, thanks for all your help everyone.

I don't recommend 'spreading' or making 'designs', and simply a small line 'rice' size. More isn't better and any bubbles will ruin the application. The pressure of the HSF on the CPU will do all the spreading you'll need.

I clean with a lint free towel (paper coffee filter is fine) then using 90%+ Isopropyl alcohol dip plain Q-Tips, remove excess alcohol (spinning with pressure the Q-Tip on the bottle), clean the CPU/HSF 3~4 times, allow 5 minutes to full dry and with compressed air blow-off both the CPU/HSF to remove any dust/fibers then apply the TIM.

I exclusively use AC MX-4, it's easy, no curing and as mentioned non-electrically conductive -- not to be in any way confused with thermally conductive.

Poopie Paste probably would work for a while until digestive juices pitted the metal and OMG yuck it dries-out.

Please moving beyond that, I looked at this link -> http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=4 and the problems are: 1. Amount of TIM applied in addition the rough surfaces, and 2. Designs (Patterns).

If (Olin Coles) applied sufficient TIM and correct pressure then there would be 100% coverage with either the 'blob' or line. The problem with patterns is it creates (Trapped) air pockets where the line(s) or patterns converge and ditto with the 'X'. In particular the 'X' the air is trapped between the top line and the second overlapping line. A large blob too can have air bubbles trapped if not done carefully and with constant pressure.

Until you know How Much TIM to apply I would encourage a couple TRIALS and note the before and after after pulling the HSF off. After plenty of builds I know how much TIM to apply.

Further, in contrast to the link in the OP's case the 'pump' head is polish smooth and the CPU is relatively smooth as well. Therefore, it doesn't take a lot of TIM and AC MX-4 spreads very easily under installation pressure. Speaking of pressure, I only use finger tight and even then nothing nuts. Excessive pressure can damage components and warp the MOBO; neither is good.

TRENDING THREADS