Worth the money?

galahad1313

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
is this system worth the money? i posted about a home built, but as an alternative in case i get cold feet and chicken out of trying to build it myself, i spotted this one. is it good? can it be improved to surg, watch vids etc a bit better? found it at tiger direct, but i think newegg canada had some better.

COMPARE CybertronPC X-Navigator NIAX2240 Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 920, 6GB DDR3, (2) 500GB RAID 0, DVDRW, (2) HD4850, Vista Home Premium 64
The CybertronPC X-Navigator NIAX2240 Extreme Gaming PC includes the Core i7 920, 6GB DDR3, dual HD4850s in CrossFireX, and Vista Home Premium 64.
$2,159.99

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Aside from it being roughly $1,000 overpriced, there's very little information given about certain parts. Specifically what kind of RAM, what kind of HDD's, and it mentions absolutely nothing about the PSU, which usually means that it is a complete piece of junk that can (and will) cause you a ton of problems.

I certainly wouldn't buy it...

Don't worry about building you own computer, it's harder to do permanent damage to it than you'd think. Just use common sense, and get yourself a $10 anti-static wrist strap. That should eliminate like 90% of the already very low probability that you will accidentally damage something.

galahad1313

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
even though i'm completely lost nowadays with all the new techs coming out, that was the 1st thing that struck me....seems a bit bare for that kind of money when i'm still drooling over tom's recomendations in sept 09 with that $2500 machine. i'll look into that wrist band thingy although my floors are linoleum and odds of getting static are low, i've been told there's always the chance of internal static building up while putting the toy together so that would help, thnx :).

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
techmo34, while that is a very nice build, I have a couple of questions/comments regarding some of your decisions.

Why Windows 7 Professional? That is the business version. Most people would need/want Home Premium or Ultimate.

The model of SSD you selected doesn't support TRIM. Why not consider this model instead?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167016

The GPU and optical drive you selected have been deactivated from newegg. Just thought I'd let you know if you didn't already.

nitros85

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008

His choice in components are also viciously overpriced.

I would only take system building advice from him if you don't mind wasting $100-300 extra for pointless name-brands on parts.

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

Pointless name-brand parts? Really? What are you talking about the SSD over Kingston or something?

tecmo34

Administrator

Sonic-Boom hit it.... XP Mode, which is not in the Home edition. Also, I choose Pro over Ultimate, so I don't get all of the extras I don't need that comes with Ultimate.

Good catch on the SSD. It is the better choice. The other two items are just out of stock at Newegg and they don't know when they will get more, which is why they say deactivated.

@Nitro85... Two things... 1) I was showing what you could buy for $2,100 versus the pre-built system. I was not providing a recommended build. He would be better off with an i7 860 build (similar to my Enthusiast build in my sticky) As I state in my sticky, I recommend reviewing other sites for better pricing and combo deals. 2) What are my pointless name brand parts? What manufacturer would you replace them with?

XP mode is a full copy of Windows XP running inside a virtual machine. The versions of Windows 7 are completely different than they were with Vista. Professional has all the features of Home Premium, plus some. Ultimate has all the features of Professional, plus some. You no longer lose any functionality going with Professional. Professional is a great choice for home users that use very old software or hardware.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+7+xp+mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

atomicdumpling

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

There are a lot of software programs that are not compatible with Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

The XP mode will allow you to easily play those older games that you still enjoy without the hassle of finding work-arounds on the Internet.

galahad1313

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
wish my actual component post got this many answers hehe. this was just an alternative i looked at. i didn't choose the parts, this was a pre-built system i cut'n'pastied from tiger direct in their so called "best gaming systems" section. i'll scrap it as an alternative to building my own and keep gathering info on my parts post. thnx for all the answers folks. prevents me from making a potential blunder like the mdg machine i have now.