Asus 4870 512MB Broke,Damaged

morph9927

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Hi there i brought a Asus 4870 about 7 or 8 months ago 2 months after owning it the fan stopped working i never sent it to be repaired because i wasnt happy with the cooling anyway because it was running 75 to 80 degrees on full load. so i brought a Accelero Twin Turbo silent cooling upgrade for it and installed it perfectly after the upgrade on full load it was silent and reached 55 degrees so i was happy for several months untill 1 day recently after playing crysis i noticed the temps hit 60 degrees so looking inside the pc case only one Accelero Twin Turbo fan out of 2 was working even though the fans for the gpu were connected directly to the psu via a molex connecter so i took the card out of the pc for a closer look couldnt see any damage to the other fan and thought well 60 degrees on full load with only 1 fan working is still cooler than the stock cooler then put the card back in and when i turned the pc on in the bios i get lots of multi coloured lines and flickering squares like something is seriously wrong with the graphics which gets alot worse if i let windows load i really dont know what is wrong with the card or how to fix it im thinking of doing a bios update if possible in this state at the moment ive downgraded to a Radeon HD 2400 pro which is to be honest rubbish

Raidmax Ninja Case
Oryexx Hercules 750w Crossfire Ready PSU
AMD Phenom X4 9950BE QuadCore CPU
ECS 7050 M-M Limited Edition Motherbourd
2x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2800
Samsung 500GB HDD
Bluetooth wifi 2 in 1 card
Optiarc/Sony dvd all multi lightscribe RW
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB

morph9927

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
i would just like to point out the card was running fine even with one fan before i took it out of the pc there seems to be no physical damage to the card and the card was out and back in within ten minuites and since it died ive taken the cooling system off the card and reapplied thermal paste and problem still persists