Windows really 51gb?...

davejohnson

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hey, so my windows folder is 51gb, this seems like an absurd amount and makes no sense. How do I fix this. It's windows XP OS. I can't format the drive because I don't have the key or the disk.

Is that what the Windows properties says for Windows folder or is that the size of the partition that was allocated ? I have XP/Pro installed, Windows folder is around 8GB with 24k of files, partition size is 21GB - housing all other windows folders, program files, doc & settings etc..

davejohnson

Honorable
May 3, 2012

It's what the properties says, the documents and other saved stuff isn't even in it so I have no clue why it's so big. Think just reinstalling it would be better, but I don't have the disk or key. Any way to just revert the files back to what they were when it was installed without doing a clean install? There's definitely something corrupted in the files making it so big.

I suggest that you download and run Windirstat. It does a lovely job of showing you where space is used.

As to reverting the files back to the first install, you need either an installation disk or the manufacturer's reset process. Some makers put a hidden partition on the machine with an image for re-imaging the machine.

The disadvantage of that is that you have to install years worth of updates and all your software all over again.

By default, XP stores information to uninstall every patch that is installed. This can add up to a large amount of storage space. There are ways, both manual and automated, to scrub some of this stuff. This will eliminate your ability to rollback any of these changes. Look for folders with names like $NtUninstallKB939683$

davejohnson

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hey, so I downloaded that program and it says 42.7gbs out of the 47gbs it's taking up is ".msp Windows installer patch". Which of these am I able to delete?