AC97 audio not working under Win7 64-bit

Horrgakx

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Hi all - I've installed Win7 64 bit and so far the only hurdle I've come across is with the sound drivers.

The AC97 is built into the motherboard (Abit IX48GT3). Before I continue its worth saying that Abit seemingly do not have Win7 drivers for this motherboard.

Microsoft drivers ARE installed for the sound card but the only device listed is the S/PDIF interface. I have my amp plugged into the 3.5mm stereo jack on the rear panel (which works fine under XP incidentally). SO there is no sound to my amp.

I have tried looking at the Reaktek website and I found Vista/Win7 drivers which I downloaded, but when I install it under Win7 I'm give the warning that the drivers are unsigned and so I click 'continue anyway' ... but then it gives another warning ... I click 'continue anyway'... and so on until I've clicked the damned thing 15+ times and it seems to be stuck in a loop.

Any advice will be appreciated on this, AC97 just shouldn't be an issue...

Thanks

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Win 7 does not use AC'97.
Download the HD audio driver for your device and you should be fine, although A-bit is exiting the motherboard market and you have noted yourself that board does not have Win 7 Support.
Try using Vista 64bit drivers for it, I have found on occasion that they work just fine in Win 7 when you cannot find an alternative.

Other than that why not upgrade your sound card. If you have it hooked up to an AMP surely you want good quality audio.

kenaniah

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

cyril2mason

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010

Where can I find this HD audio driver?