Do I need to reconfigure Win 7 for my SSD

Dziadzi

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I am reading several articles on this site and others regarding changes to Windows 7 to optimize the use of my SSD. Some of them state to disable "restore", "pagefile", "superfetch", and several others. Then I see articles stating that making any changes are unnecessary. From what I read, TRIM is a good feature to be on for my system. So, my question is, "Do I need to make changes to Win 7 (Pro 64-bit) or not? If yes, which features should be turned off (or on)? Any references to articles that "verify" what should be done would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Windows 7 installation will enable trim and set the partition alignemt by default.
As to "tweaks" the only too that I recommend is
(1) disable hibernation.
REF: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730
(2) Set the page file (virtual memory) min and max to the same size, do not use windows managed. If 4 gigs set min/mak to 1024 megs, if 6 or more set it to 512 megs. If by slim chance you get an "Out Of memory" error, then increase the Min/max values still using the same value. If short on Space on the SSD, you can select none for the C drive and move to a HDD - slight decrease in performance.
The other tweeks, I do not use on mine and have 4 systems using an SSD.

Make sure you are on AHCI mode by checking in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers that there is a AHCI controller.

Make sure TRIM is enable:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=86403

Make sure ssd is aligned:
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/checking_ssd_alignment

Upgrade firmware if there are any.

No need to do anything for performance. Just disable hibernation and system restore to save space, and if you want you can also disable the page files (I wouldn't in case you run out of RAM, just lower it as retiredchief suggested). Leave the computer on the logon screen for garbage collection for a few hours a week to clear out blocks on the ssd to keep write performance.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Thats paranoia on the web from people without a life, you will resell your SSD and get a larger one years before it comes close to failing, dont worry about it.

Having said that, the guys above gave some good tips, feel free to experiment with them. I do nothing tough.

Concur with Pyree comment on disabling restore point, or at least limiting the number of (more on this at end of post). In reference to AHCI, good catch.

However for Intel systems
.. (1) You can use either AHCI or Raid in bios. The only cavet is do not use the SSD as a member of a raid0 or 1 setup.
.. (2) After installation, make sure you update, or install, the latest Intel RST driver (10.6)
.. (3) On newer MB, if you have a choice between on board marvel controller and Intel - USE INTEL
.. (4) You can verify driver and alignment by downloading and running AS SSD (Do NOT need to run the Benchmark). Upper left will indicate the driver (for Intel chipset MB driver should be iaSTor, Better performance than default msachi. Will also show a green OK. Aginment should also show a green OK.

Back to my "at end of". Windows 7 has an excellent backup program (new to Win7) that allows you to create an image file of your "C" drive and put it on a 2nd internal HDD, an External HDD (best option), or on DVDs. When it completes the image it will ask you if you want to create a bootable Restore DVD, If you have a windows Installation disk (Gee how did you install window) you need not create - just use the install disk and select repair. Highly recommend you do this, only need to recreate image periodically, not as often as regular sched BU of your data. This image will restore windows and all programs with out having to re-install windows 7 and ALL of your programs. (about 10 Min to recover from a HDD failure (not counting putting in a new HDD LOL)

Buy the SSD and ENJOY!!!

TRENDING THREADS