Sign in with
Your question

ATI HD 4890 problem........

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2009 3:34:30 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately I'm still having problems with my new graphic card...

Here's the problem this time:

There's a old FPS game I play (DirectX9) and with my old graphic card (ATI Radeon X1050), I used to play with around 90~94 fps (the game's max). Now I bought a Powercolor HD 4890 and when I try to play, I get 26~30 fps...
I have downloaded and installed the drivers (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/ra... ~ Option #1). I have updated DX9, etc...

I tried to low down all the game settings, I tried to put the graphic card at extreme performance mode (decreasing every quality setting) but the fps won't go up... I have reinstalled both graphic card's drivers and the game and no changes...

Usually in the "good graphic card with bad performance" cases, the CPU is the bottleneck. But I don't think my CPU is the problem... I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E6550. I've checked if there are any driver updates for it and there are, but the updates are for windows Vista and I got XP...

And even if one of my other components is a bottleneck for the graphic card's performance, how come it doesn't have at least a better performance than my old one, in a old game?

Additional Information:
- Windows XP: With every update.
- Motherboard: ASUS P5GC-MX.
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550.

Thank you so much for your help so far, hope you can help me out with this one, too...

Greetz ;) 

More about : ati 4890 problem

November 13, 2009 3:42:31 PM

i had the same problem with the 4870 ....but the problem was my cpu bottleneck,
so maybe its ur cpu....try changing it (if u have a friend who has a better cpu then just try it on ur board)....
m
l
November 18, 2009 4:28:51 PM

I don't think that's my case because my cpu is good enough to handle the graphic card...

Anyone else has any other idea...?
m
l
November 22, 2009 5:55:30 PM

Sorry for double post, just wanted to say that I have fixed the problem.
If someone else ever gets this or something similar, here's how I fixed it:
You remember I said one of those driver updates detectors detected some important updates but those updates didn't work for windows XP? That was it...
I installed Windows Vista, made those updates and BOOM, got my FPS back =)

I have some friends with top ATI graphic cards that also got the same problem so if you bought a new graphic card, your other components are good enough to handle it and you have windows XP, then installing Vista could fix it.

Nobody really helped me here, but thanks anyway ;) 
m
l
!