Weird glitches

I've been playing a bachelor for a while. (He's from the family where the
teens and kids could not use drawers to change their daily clothes, but he
moved out quite a while ago.) A few days ago I started a family of four
roomies in another house. After he has become friends with some of them,
weird things have begun to happen. (This could be coincidence, of course.)

The first thing that started: When he talks on the phone, suddenly there
is a image of the person he is talking with, visible only for a fraction
of a second, and then the phone rings. It is no longer in his hands, but
back on the wall, and the call is broken. (In the past, people kept
talking till their social bar was full, at the very least. Presumably
till the other person's social bar was full as well, whichever came last.)
Later, the next time he places a call, he just hangs up, but the next time
again he calls. Every other call, he hangs up.

The second thing came the next day (real time). When he takes a cup of
coffee and sits down in the sofa, he will not have time to enjoy it.
Suddenly the cup of coffee is gone, and he is standing in front of the
coffee machine but facing the same way he did in the sofa. If there is
anyone else there with him, they are standing beside him.

Lately this has expanded to the dinner table. He sits down and starts
eating. Then suddenly he stands upright near the table. He does not rise
from the table, he just suddenly stands there. But in this case the food
does not disappear, so he can continue eating. It may happen once or
twice during a meal.

Weird, huh?

good sign." -G

Replying to myself, as befits a person like me.

Today he will teleport when talking to someone face to face. The dialog is
of course ended, but at least he will get the wish fulfillment bonus.
I also moved him to a new house and it did not help.

I have a theory. This guy is aspiring to popularity. He has a heap of
friends and has met even more people. I think his list of acquaintances
may have grown beyond what the game expected, and is overwriting other
parts of the game. Each time he meets someone new, another normal feature
of the game is rendered useless. The latest change came after he invited
in a passing stranger.

My advice therefore is: If you have popularity sims, don't let them get
near two full pages of phone book. Rather let them enjoy the friends they
already have, party every night and have fun.

The poor guy is much reduced. He can't talk to people on the phone, he
can't eat with them or drink coffee with them, and now he can't chat with
them either. I'd hate to delete him, but I won't be able to play him the
way I planned.

good sign." -G

I just love talking to myself! This turned out to be a known problem,
just under a different heading.

Question
Why do my Sims 'pop' out of actions like talking, cuddling, and 'woohoo'?
I select the action and when they go to do it they suddenly stop. If they
were in the hot tub, bed, or couch (etc.) they will even 'pop' back a few
spaces.

Answer
It appears that this issue has to do with the memories of a Sim in your
lot growing past a point that the game can handle. Most times, this
happens in one of two ways; either with use of the aging on|off cheat, or
excessive use of the "Elixir of Life" Aspiration Bonus.

While we understand that this is frustrating, what you can do for now is
to reset the memories of the family, which can be done by bringing in a
"packaged" version of the affected lot.

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland wrote:
> I just love talking to myself! This turned out to be a known
problem,
> just under a different heading.
<snip>

I would have replied, but you beat me to it.

As you have learned, you have discovered the infamous jump bug.

Don't take their advice - packaging a sim does not reset its memories,
at least not much. The problem will show up again quickly - best to
wait for the patch and hope it fixes it.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:54:38 -0500, Jeremy Reaban <jer@connectria.com>
wrote:

> Don't take their advice - packaging a sim does not reset its memories,
> at least not much. The problem will show up again quickly - best to
> wait for the patch and hope it fixes it.

I took their advice, of course. It did little if anything to the
memories, but erased the friends list. Evidently my character now has
amnesia and nobody recognizes him either. (I gave him a makeover so
that's OK.) Most intriguingly, although the family tree is still there to
look at, everyone has forgotten that he is family. I wonder if he could
marry his sister. She is kinda cute...

good sign." -G