How can i turn my old DSL phone line connected modem into a wireless router

nicka777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
how can i turn my old DSL phone line connected modem into a wireless router.
i have dsl modem can you tell me if there is a way to convert it into a wireless router.

G

Why reinvent the wheel ?

Buy a wireless router designed to work with an external modem -- you'll need to specify that because most sold these days (for DSL customers anyway) are integrated modem/router/wireless units*.

In fact, why not get one of those -- setting up the connection to the ISP should be straightforward (note down the existing modem settings and duplicate them in the WAN section of the router).

*so they tend to be cheap -- in fact there are thousands thrown away every year as users switch suppliers and get a new wireless router free.

roy124

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
If you want to do this you need to give more information. If your modem is a USB modem that was plugged into the computer then FIHART's solution is really the only way to go.

If your modem had a LAN port then you can get a wireless router and plug on in to 'ther. It is a cheaper solution with Zxy??? or Sitecom both making wireless routers.

The other factor is modem and system speed. It is likely that your modem is 802.11b/g and you have a choice of 802.11b/g/n routers. Coupling the two together would throttle the router. If you bought a b/g then you are buying old technology. If you go for the faster router (and modem) then adding a dongle to your computer will give you the higher speed all round.