Sign in with
Your question

Psycho rider Radbox project

Last response: in Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 5:47:43 PM

Maybe this should be in homebuild with the original thread,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...

But its a W/c project so I'll chance it here, :) 

Ok, basic info,
Subject: Moto Psycho

Adding graphics cards to loop, need more rad,
incapable of sense
has access to powertools and alcohol

I decided I am going with two EX360's in the box, along with another Xspc 750l pump/res combo,
three fans each rad on push, two exhaust fans at rear of box
8 channel fan controller
all tubing and wires will be concealed from view using 36mm corrugated pond hoses glanded to the Pc and box
also in the box will be the Qdc's for removal if/when needed

so on with the boxmaking...

Piece of wood, circular saw, any guesses whats happening here?
remember guys, mark twice cut once....

marked up side sections

and ended up with a small pile of wood half an hour later

More after this from our sponsors...
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 5:48:03 PM

The controller I use has 8 channels, split into two banks of four fans each so I'll be putting the three fans from each rad with the rear fan on its side on each bank

placing the rear fans and glands for the fat tubing to exit the box,

And after Mr Holesaw has visited,

fans sat on an offcut for now but to show you how inside will look, I'm thinking of actually mounting the fans inside the backboard, yup, I think I will :p 

From outside after much filing and sanding, then laying on the first coat of Matt black,

More black paint,

Now my cuts aren't the straightest, nor my filing so I use an old trick to level things up, glue and sawdust fills the gaps :) 

after its dry I'll sand down to smooth and grab more paint for another couple of coats, payday tuesday so I should get the rads and fans ordered,
then next weekend I can mark out the fanholes and mount them up
**Edit, screws on outside will be countersunk once ready for final coat/polish, I just tacked them as its easier to work on a box, rather than five seperate pieces

thats it for now, I need a beer :p 
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 5:48:13 PM

Due to my neighbours damn house alarm going off all day I figured I'd get up and make something productive of it, shattered but I have nice pictures hehe

Fans got laid out at the back and marked up for drillcutting,

I used a straightedge to make sure they were lined up ofc

In the same way I cut out fanholes or Psu vents, I drill inside the perimeter of the markings and try to get the holes as close together as possible

Then very carefully with a slow drillspeed, I use it almost like a scrollsaw to join everything up, this also straightens up the line before filing

like this,

Beceause I made up the box earlier, the shape and glue helped support the cutoff as I got closer to the end, and actually held it on even after the cuts were done :) 

excess out, and file,file,file, I put the fan inside the aperture to see where needs more filing, slide it all the way to edges top to bottom and side to side, this means you don't accidentally file too much, or have a uneven line

It fits, it fits!! (Cinderella impression over)

but not without casualty, I was a little rough taking the fan back out and unlike the Gelids, the in win fans don't have removable (then replaceable:p ) blades, no issue as I'll be ordering 8 Xspc 1650rpm units for the build, shame to see a good fan die though :p 

Both fans in place,

inside view

and when flush at the rear, this is the overlap inside,

According to the other half, I wasn't even an hour doing this, must've been lost in modworld hehe
I'll be doing the same with three fans on each side once I buy the Ex360's, I'm considering an Ex360 kit and giving myself the Raystorm upgrade
not bad for a (unexpected) afternoons work
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 6:34:49 PM

^man you always do different but amazing things!
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 6:42:45 PM

Cheers man,
I have no room on the desk for a radbox and can't feasibly add to the height of the rig (28.5" already:p )
so I designed this to be bolted underneath my desktop, and of course the hiding tubes/wires made me go for the oversized ducting ,
glad you like my projects though :) 
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 6:53:32 PM

^yeah i saw your 'in win psycho rider' LOL it's awesome.but due to the rad at top it was
too tall.rad box is a clever idea.
a b U Graphics card
a c 328 K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 9:09:57 PM

That radbox alone is going to weigh as much as my monstrosity build. :) 
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 10:04:06 PM

20mm board :-)
Its fair weighty without any gear in it so I'm glad I'm bolting it through the desk
although removing sections for the res/fancontroller fascia's and fan holes will lower the weight a bit :) 
Moto
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
March 17, 2012 11:57:46 PM

a b K Overclocking
March 18, 2012 12:42:35 AM

looking awesome moto, very nice work.
a b U Graphics card
a c 328 K Overclocking
March 18, 2012 12:45:37 AM

If you have any of that leftover, you could make yourself a subwoofer box. :) 
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 18, 2012 10:02:01 AM

hmm, haven't got any subs to put in one though :p 
I'm sure I'll find a purpose for the offcut section, I rarely throw materials away
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
March 18, 2012 10:55:11 AM

been looking this morning and have decided
the fans, instead of cutting circular holes or one huge rectangle, I'm going to cut a square hole for each fan to sit inside of, so it will be almost flush, < I didn't in the end, the spars between fans would have been too thin so it was one large rectangle per side
5mm will be sticking out (as it were) on the inside of the box, this will help with vibration damping and allow me more room inside the box to route hoses/airflow path control,
and mounting grills will be a simple matter of screwing them directly to the fan (once I decide on how I'm grilling/meshing it up, I may go for speaker grills/mesh as a filter)
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 78 K Overclocking
March 18, 2012 12:52:41 PM

shaping up nicely :) 
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 5, 2012 4:44:10 PM

Added this post to top.
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 5, 2012 5:00:09 PM

rubix_1011 said:
If you have any of that leftover, you could make yourself a subwoofer box. :) 

I put the box in the living room whilst I brought my tools back inside, came back to find it occupied by a feline, so any left/ next project is obviously going to be a catbox lol:p 
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 6:17:46 AM

Cheers man :) 
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 2:38:39 PM

Well you definitely have my curiosity Moto, as to where you're going with this and what the end results will be, not many know here that I am a Master Carpenter, and you would flat love to get your hands on my tools.

I'm interested to know if this is something I could possibly in the future pre-cut and ship to other water cooling enthusiasts, but I'm not really sure where you're going with this?

Regarding your radiator configuration and layout.

So looks good, and I'm watching for your end results! Ry
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 2:41:28 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I put the box in the living room whilst I brought my tools back inside, came back to find it occupied by a feline, so any left/ next project is obviously going to be a catbox lol:p 
Moto

ROFL :lol: 

That's classic, you cannot bring any type box in our home the cats don't claim! :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 2:49:29 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Well you definitely have my curiosity Moto, as to where you're going with this and what the end results will be, not many know here that I am a Master Carpenter, and you would flat love to get your hands on my tools.

I'm interested to know if this is something I could possibly in the future pre-cut and ship to other water cooling enthusiasts, but I'm not really sure where you're going with this?

Regarding your radiator configuration and layout.

So looks good, and I'm watching for your end results! Ry

If you wanted to 'blueprint' the design as a template for other thats no problem mate, I can Pm the vitals when I get time,
and yes, I would love a workshop and access to 'proper' tools, benchsaw drillpress etc :) 
You probably went into shock at my abuse of a drill hehe in my defense its a solution that works and I have never broken a bit yet due to care and patience
I do recall you mentioning your profession a while back, I'm no craftsman, but I seem to be able to know what I want and find a way to make it hehe,usually involves lots of learning but thats half the fun in my book.

I'm glad you (in particular) found this, its always nice to have people you respect the opinion of interested in your work and I hope I continue to hold your interest,

Stay tuned as they say, but I'm on hold till payday, the curse of the working class lol

Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 328 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 2:58:08 PM

Quote:

A stand-alone radiator/pump box or pedestal would be a great idea- I've toyed with that idea, but you'd have to try to generalize what most people would want vs. doing each one custom. I guess custom work would be OK as well, but you'd have to address each order individually.
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 3:00:40 PM

Any reference pics to share?
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 3:04:23 PM

The design I came up with is to have a feedline from the rear of the Pc,
going into the box and having a female Qdc, then the male goes through the rads and pump to a female, that way I can close the radbox off to prime/bleed and the Pc part of the loop can also be self-contained, although I'd not try anything heavy on it whilst in that state :p  (plus I have other means of accessing the net if main rig's down)
Nice to see you in here as well mate, I'm feeling popular now lol
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 3:07:36 PM

How many radiators will be going in it?
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 3:11:47 PM

Reference pics? its all in my head man, I have more worklog type stuff though if that helps,
I take loads of photos then select a few from photobucket to post
http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/Motopsychojdn/T...!cpZZ1QQtppZZ12
don't mind the cats :p 
and see if you can spot my sewage drain Macgyvering (local waterboard idiots broke the pipe but didn't bring the replacement....)
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 3:14:56 PM

Two Ex360's is the design, but I almost had a Gtx360 from Ebay cheap, and that would have been put into the floor of the box as an additional passive hehe :p 
**Edit, I would happily have two RX's but funds.... :p 
**Further edit, have you two seen this? http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
Jammy git lol
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 328 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 3:33:22 PM

I'm still rather disappointed that those Watercool or Admiral rads never made it to market when they claimed such high performance on hype. A valid successor to the Monsta rads would be great, but there hasn't been much outside the Aquacomputer Airplex's and even those are under attack from legal issues.

Sorry- back to the issue at hand. If you were wanting to produce a pedestal box, you could always look into stringing together several cores and tubes as well as building a pump into the box and setting up in/out ports for simple connection. You would definitely want to promote turbulent over laminar flow and narrow tubes like a watercooling rad or heater core would help promote this:

Normal copper tubing would promote laminar flow, so you'd definitely have to get creative, unless you had a lot of pipe that would dramatically increase surface-to-air ratio conducive to cooling cost/performance.
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 3:46:32 PM

Moto,

Nice bikes!

Your brown tabby looks identical to ours, she actually owns the house and allows us to live there, feed her, change the poop and pee, and once in a while actually get to pet her, It's a cat thing, I'm sure you're well aware of.

Did the UV lights come with the T-Virus res, or bought separately?

I'm really looking forward to seeing your end setup, and how you mount and position your radiators. Ry
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 6, 2012 3:53:23 PM

Taz is my soulmate, he's an awesome person, although Moya is the ruler of the house, she is rarely willing to be photographed (diva) and Pirate (The dread pirate roberts actually is his full name, and the reason we adopted him:p ) is our mad kitten
The Big bikes mine, the little 125 is the other halfs,
and I laid out the radplan in here, page three I think,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=t...
U.V. Cathodes came with the T-viruses
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 235 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 2:56:47 PM

Our brown tabby that looks like Taz, her name is Dixie we should have named her either Grumpy or Intimidator, because her normal communication seems to be growling and hissing it's very rare for her to meow, but she does seem to get her way over the other cats.

As far as the cat family is concerned she is more like a Tiger, we have her blood sister completely different personality she is solid gray with a white patch from her nose going up between her eyes and 4 white socks.

She is body wise more like a Panther her name is Pixie, and yes we named them for the cartoon characters Pixie & Dixie, which were two mice in the cartoon, we thought it was cute at the time, and that was when they were so small you could let one sleep in each hand.

Pixie and Dixie came from the same litter but have changed so much today with their own personalities it's amazing Pixie has the loudest meow I have ever heard come out of a cat, she could almost crack glass with it.

Our third cat Rambo we got as an orphan to a fine lady that died in an assisted living home, my wife is a nurse there, and the woman asked her if she would look after him when she died, and she did and he is now a member of our family.

Originally his name was Whiskers, but after 20 solid minutes trying to get that cat into a cat carrier to take him to the vets office, I changed his name to Rambo!

Like Pixie he is solid gray with the same white face stripe and 3 white socks and one gray, his body build is more like a lion and he needed to have a lions mentality, to survive in this house with these established female felines.

For the first 2 months it was hell, my wife and I thought they would never get along fighting every single day, and now they all seem to love each other, finally!

I'm sorry for this thread Hi-Jack Moto, but it's rare to find a fellow cat lover Thanks for listening to my rant! Ry
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 4:08:08 PM

Hehe, np man, our cats are family, by which I mean of course that they allow us to serve them and live in the same vicinity :p 
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 6:31:20 PM

Thinking of upping the game to RX360's, Ex's are good but I'm feeling if I'm doing overkill, I should do OVERKILL!
Wish my desk was big enough that I could've gone for the 480's hehe
inside clearances may be interesting by the time I get pushpull set up,
(I may mount the second fancontroller ready for that anyway)
but whats life if not a challenge? :p 
Moto
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 7:25:20 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Thinking of upping the game to RX360's, Ex's are good but I'm feeling if I'm doing overkill, I should do OVERKILL!
Wish my desk was big enough that I could've gone for the 480's hehe
inside clearances may be interesting by the time I get pushpull set up,
(I may mount the second fancontroller ready for that anyway)
but whats life if not a challenge? :p 
Moto

Might as well make another desk and just put a ton of radiators in it!! :ouch: 
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 7:28:56 PM

I went through various ideas en-route to this,
one of which was emptying the top drawer and filling that, but there isn't enough room in there for 360/480 rads and pump/res so I ditched that plan
Moto
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 7:48:30 PM

Remove top drawer and replace that with the radbox?
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 7, 2012 7:51:46 PM

Dimensions were wrong,
I could have removed a portion of the support/drawer cabinet but then I'd have lost the removability of the radbox, and for some reason, the ability to modify things in a way so i can put it back to rights is a bugbear for me, I guess that makes me try harder to find ways lol,
rather than just hacking things up I plan so I can undo what I've done if needed

Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 6:27:13 PM

As always time has revised (improved?) my plans, its nearly payday and I was trawling Egay for some wire and more fabric tape,
I don't care that you can't see the wires in the box, I'm still taping and tidying them up :p 
And I'd decided in the meantime anyway that the radbox is going on top of the desk with the Pc on top, leaves my legroom underneath hehe
I found these,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250929828186?ssPageName=STRK:...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120789435113?ssPageName=STRK:...

So I'm incorporating Washes magic switches into the build now :) 
momentary will be run to the powerswitch on the door so both will function (but you know I'll never use the door one again)
and one of the two on/off's will get wired to the fancontroller, (I can turn it off on the panel but I need functions for my switches) and I'll throw a couple of cathodes in the box too, thats a job for the last switch, ( not that I'll ever turn them on hehe)

going for the 14 fans on an 8 channel controller, straight into the pushpull to save messing later and still need to find a couple of grills to filter/cover the fans
but paydays friday so Rads/ pump/res, QDC's and hopefully the blocks will be ordered,
I can get the radbox ready to fit without touching the Rig, but when I need to mod the gfx cards/fit the blocks I will have to strip the rig so maybe a couple of days off work is in order, and lots of photo's for the C.m. tutorial I'm trying to write :) 
I love this game hehe
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 6:41:01 PM

1| so you're back in the game :) 
2| cablemanagement in the dark, gotta love OCD's :) 
3| the flight toggle switch mite be a nightmare as the power delivery to start your mobo is like jumpstarting your car with a dead battery and hot wiring it to a live new battery. all it takes for a mobo to start is a temporary spark/ignite and its off. that toggle switch will def leave the power running - which could prove fatal in your case.

an alternative
http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=60_180
http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/index.php?action=search...
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 7:17:22 PM

Nope, the powerswitch one is momentary, you should know I are smarter than that :p 
the other two are full on/off units,
They have to be the style I used to be true to Firefly, so couldn't use the http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=... style, if I didn't have the ones I chose, I wouldn't be doing the mod, already have a powerbutton and the other two functions are superfluous, I made them up to justify the switches existence, I can't have switches/tubes with no purpose, thats insane to me,
Cheers for the links though,
Ocd can be a gift, not just a curse and I was never out of the game hehe,
I chronically suffer from financial resource deficiency syndrome :p 
I need to get it done though, more post-apocalyptic mods in the brain are screaming to get let out hehe
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 328 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 7:32:12 PM

This is motivating me to continue design work on the new water box...I have some good ideas so it doesn't end up weighing so much or being the size of a machine shed.

Nice work- can't wait to see how you use all these components.
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 7:43:02 PM

I could shave/plane it thinner in sections but I'm happy with the solidity of it now its going on top, and it will help dampen vibration/noise too
if I'd bought the wood I may have gone for thinner sheet, 10-15mm maybe
My problem is I have too many ideas and not enough money hehe
and I dream of a workshop with benchtools or even a dedicated workspace would do :) 
Moto
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 7:49:23 PM

Quote:
thas where paper models come into play - or from corrugated board/packing board models and make mockups but also remember the thickness of the material to compensate while cutting the real thing. failed ideas remain on the drawing board or butter paper while the ones that are worthy and well come up to breath the real light of day :) 

edit:
those seem to me like they'll help the tight bends in your loop or for the QDC's
a b U Graphics card
a c 328 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 8:26:28 PM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120813254855?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_925wt_846

Slide on water fittings, mainly used for drinking water or other fluids and simplicity in connect/disconnect. You'd slide this inside the tubing to make it 'rigid' in order to slip inside a de-coupler fitting.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/443590466/FY010A_equal_1_4_tube_OD.html

Quote:

The American Dream also exists in the UK. :) 
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 8:30:52 PM

aren't they inserts for plastic push in connectors/fittings, you can buy then for almost all sizes of tubing, but the real small tubing under 1/4 in ID. with that size you can use copper inserts for the smaller sizes, they are designed the same way, but the reason you do not use copper on the larger fittings is that with the copper insert when placed inside the tubing and pushed into the fitting the connection becomes permanent. with means that will not come apart, I have been using them for years, and made all the wrong chooses in this regard. but learning is half the fun, while building makes up the other half. if you are planning to use push in fittings, these are a must have for the build to prevent the fittings from leaking. am I right?
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 9:07:23 PM

Some good guesses and ideas there, I'm actually going to use them as turbulence inducer inserts *Tm*
I'll make them so that they disturb the flow inside the loop, probably by cutting/melting them a bit
I saw, found a use for them, and implemented it,
If I had ready money all the time I wouldn't hit half of my crazier ideas :-)
Moto
a b U Graphics card
a c 328 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 9:20:08 PM

This is quite an ingenious idea...very cool. What else will you think of? I'm quite the fan of the creativity.
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 9:41:20 PM

great idea I use springs for the same purpose found the idea online to, never thought of using the inserts for this purpose. but can see how it would work, the only issue I could see is the traveling factor. meaning that the inserts will migrate to the nearest block, or fitting in the loop following the flow of water. the springs do this to if I do not put them in the center of the tubing with bends on one side or the other, depending on the flow of water to prevent this from happening. hope this helps with the test stage of your project.
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 10:13:56 PM

I was aware of the possibility of them migrating (much like my killcoils probably have)
But I will put them somewhere that movement is unlikely to occur such as pre-bends, but I will ofc play about once I have them to hand hehe
I do recall thinking the lip on them may be useful as a retaining device though, maybe inserted into barbs with the tubing over them, they won't move then
Moto
!