Overclocking OLD Rig

Having some issues here. Computer keeps freezing after overclock. Trying to figure out why. I believe it's RAM related, but figured I would turn to the experts.

Pentium D 805 2.66 (LOCKED multiplier of 20)
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2PT
2 x 2GB Kingston ValueRam DDR3-1333 (10600) (9-9-9-24)

Overclocks fine in the BIOS (currently set to 166 MHz (20 * 166 = 3320). Idle's around 31 - 33 degrees. After about a minute and a half of Ortho's I hit 47 - 49 degrees and it freezes. Even letting the computer sit frozen for 15 minutes the exhaust air is still cool.

Not running Ortho's I was able to browse around for the better part of 30 minutes no problems before the "freeze".

I tried changing the timing around but can't find a working combo. Tried 8-8-8-24, 10-10-10-30, 5-5-5-15, everything. It has been running memtest for about 20 minutes at 5-5-5-15 with no problems. Maybe not RAM?

Any idea's?

I know it's an old build. All the parts were free / left over and am setting up a second media server to stream movies / music.
2 answers Last reply
More about overclocking
  1. Interesting turn of events. Memtest ran fine for about 45 minutes. No freeze. Popped in my inquisitor cd (benchmarking tools based on linux ). Ran a dhrystone test for 5 minutes on each core. No problems. Ran a burn in test for 1800 on both cores. No problems.

Popped in my Ubuntu flash drive and banged out a quick "zombie" script to run a "sample" load. Core 0 100% Core 2 68%. Been running for about 5 minutes no problems.

This is at 166mhz with a 20 multiplier. RAM timing is 5-5-5-15. No issues yet running live Ubuntu 10.04 64bit off of flash drive.

Thinking a driver issue in Windows. I normally run linux anyway just testing the waters with Windows 7.

For future reference it appears that outdated drivers can definitely "ruin" an overclock :-)
  2. Hi,

Just as a test I would try and run everything at stock and stress test in windows to find out if you have a software problem.
    I suggest Prime95 to test as this does the Ram as well.
    By stock I mean defaulting your ram to 1333mhz and 9-9-9-24 with your CPU frequency/voltage defaulted.

If it does/doesn't freeze you can start to narrow down the problems.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Overclocking Computer