2 way Sli question

overclocker

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I currently have a Gigabyte Gtx285 (stock speed, 1G memory), Im planning to get another Gtx285 Ftw (overclocked, 2G memory) from Evga. I want to ask, when I run 2 way sli, will the Gigabyte one automatically overclock to the same level of the Evga one? or the Evga one will lower it speed to the Gigabyte one?

the evga one will down clock to the Gigabyte one, also the extra 1GB of memory on the 2GB one would e wasted

btw, the 2GB version doesn't perform much better than the 1GB version (~5fps tops) because the card can't utilize the full 2GB of memory

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Yes, you can overclock the lower clocked one. The sli set up uses the specs of the lowest card. The question is, CAN you overclock that card. Some are very sensitive and you can't get much out of them. I'm not sure on the gtx285. But as Mindless said, even if you overclock the lower card, the extra memory on the one card would be wasted.

They do not down clock in sli but will run what the bios on the card in question defines. So don't worry about clocks when running sli. For any one who says that one card will downclock if there is a difference does not know what they are talking about.

hypocrisyforever

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008

Sigh, yeah, he's right.....I forgot.....but it wasn't always like this. It was changed around the 178 driver release that both cards would use their independent frequencies.

But to say they don't know "anything" is a little harsh, since it was that way for a long, long time.

Harsh or not they need to get up to date and stop giving noobs bad info. Hell different clocks on some cards can be put to use beneficially when one card is able to reach higher clocks than the other when overclocking.