DDR3 RAM worth it??

Hey guys a friend of mine is offering me his:
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS3 DDR3 PC1333 Memory
http://www.scanmalta.com/eshop/components/4gb-2x2gb-corsair-twinx-xms3-1333-pc3-10600.html

owned for 3 months and never OCd for 90 euros...

i currently have 4Gb DDR2 and im thinking of upgrading to i7 soon so i know i need to get an upgrade to DDR3 but should i go for these??? or should i wait it out and buy them all at 1 go??

i use win 7 64bit and my mobo takes DDR 3 (AsRock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+)
if it matters my stats are:
CPU: Q6700 running @ 3.5Ghz
VGA: 5770 (soon buying another 5770 to crossfire)
Antec 1200 case
850W Corsair PSU
2 internal IDE HDDs (yeah i know they're old but theyre still going strong :P)

i mainly use the pc for gaming

any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about ddr3 worth
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    That looks a great choice,if it won't get cheaper by the time you want to get your other parts then go for it now
  2. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

I see some good points in buy that RAM. When u upgrade the CPU and mobo will not need buy RAM. Also, u will see a good performance increase with that RAM. That RAM have a good voltage (1.5V)

Now, the bad point. The RAM is CL9 that isn't very good IMO. Can ur mobo support the 4GB at that speed?, isn't a good upgrade if u start to get many BSoD.
  3. what does CL9 mean???
    I took a look at the AsRock website and it looks like it can support it:
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4Core1600P35-WiFi

# Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333 (2 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 4GB and Dual Channel DDR2 1066 (4 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 16GB
    should i be worried that it says max 4Gb and im using 4Gb?? or is it ok to max it out??

the mobo came free with the CPU lol so i never complained but soon it will be time for a change but im hoping ill change it when i go i7 and like this the DDR3 is ready for me

and no upgrade is worth it if it slaps me with a BSoD :P

thanks for the welcome guys ;)
  4. i looked up what CL9 meant :P

sooo would RAM with a lower latency be much more expensive??? as in would it be worth it to spring more cash for a CL8 or less RAM later on>???

also last question since my mobo says it can only support 1333Hz RAM I would not be able to OC my RAM???

Thanks a lot for the help guys
  5. 1- Support the 4GB without problem, so, u should not be worried about that.
    2- A lower CL means a more fast RAM, but always in pair with the speed of the RAM (1333 or 1600 for example), the best performance is a lower CL with a high speed, for exmaple a 1600 RAM with CL6 is a very fast RAM but also is expensive. ($165 for 4GB and $245 for 6GB).
    3- Ur mobo support 1333MHz by default, but doesn't mean that u can't OC the RAM, u can OC it. That only means that if u install the RAM without changes in the BIOS the ram will run at 1333MHz.
  6. i seeee but the deal itself for 90 euros (114 dollars) for that RAM is good??

Chances are I will upgrade to i7 by the end of the summer (september give or take a month)

thanks again
  7. That's the problem. With $5 more u can get a better RAM with better CL and better speed.

G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 CL7

Now, since u want upgrade to a i7 bear in mind that the RAM could be a problem. If u go with a i7-8xx series the DDR3 RAM that u buy is fine and don't need upgrade it. BUT if u want go with a i7-9xx series, that processor support tri-channel that are 6GB(3x2GB), so, the RAM that u buy to ur friend or a similar option like I post could run but isn't goo for that kind of CPU.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR3 Corsair Product