DDR3 RAM worth it??

xon_8

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Hey guys a friend of mine is offering me his:
4GB (2x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS3 DDR3 PC1333 Memory
http://www.scanmalta.com/eshop/components/4gb-2x2gb-corsair-twinx-xms3-1333-pc3-10600.html

owned for 3 months and never OCd for 90 euros...

i currently have 4Gb DDR2 and im thinking of upgrading to i7 soon so i know i need to get an upgrade to DDR3 but should i go for these??? or should i wait it out and buy them all at 1 go??

i use win 7 64bit and my mobo takes DDR 3 (AsRock 4Core1600P35-WiFi+)
if it matters my stats are:
CPU: Q6700 running @ 3.5Ghz
VGA: 5770 (soon buying another 5770 to crossfire)
Antec 1200 case
850W Corsair PSU
2 internal IDE HDDs (yeah i know they're old but theyre still going strong :p)

i mainly use the pc for gaming

any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

I see some good points in buy that RAM. When u upgrade the CPU and mobo will not need buy RAM. Also, u will see a good performance increase with that RAM. That RAM have a good voltage (1.5V)

Now, the bad point. The RAM is CL9 that isn't very good IMO. Can ur mobo support the 4GB at that speed?, isn't a good upgrade if u start to get many BSoD.

xon_8

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
what does CL9 mean???
I took a look at the AsRock website and it looks like it can support it:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4Core1600P35-WiFi

# Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333 (2 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 4GB and Dual Channel DDR2 1066 (4 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 16GB
should i be worried that it says max 4Gb and im using 4Gb?? or is it ok to max it out??

the mobo came free with the CPU lol so i never complained but soon it will be time for a change but im hoping ill change it when i go i7 and like this the DDR3 is ready for me

and no upgrade is worth it if it slaps me with a BSoD :p

thanks for the welcome guys ;)

xon_8

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
i looked up what CL9 meant :p

sooo would RAM with a lower latency be much more expensive??? as in would it be worth it to spring more cash for a CL8 or less RAM later on>???

also last question since my mobo says it can only support 1333Hz RAM I would not be able to OC my RAM???

Thanks a lot for the help guys

1- Support the 4GB without problem, so, u should not be worried about that.
2- A lower CL means a more fast RAM, but always in pair with the speed of the RAM (1333 or 1600 for example), the best performance is a lower CL with a high speed, for exmaple a 1600 RAM with CL6 is a very fast RAM but also is expensive. ($165 for 4GB and $245 for 6GB).
3- Ur mobo support 1333MHz by default, but doesn't mean that u can't OC the RAM, u can OC it. That only means that if u install the RAM without changes in the BIOS the ram will run at 1333MHz.

xon_8

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
i seeee but the deal itself for 90 euros (114 dollars) for that RAM is good??

Chances are I will upgrade to i7 by the end of the summer (september give or take a month)

thanks again

That's the problem. With $5 more u can get a better RAM with better CL and better speed.

G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 CL7

Now, since u want upgrade to a i7 bear in mind that the RAM could be a problem. If u go with a i7-8xx series the DDR3 RAM that u buy is fine and don't need upgrade it. BUT if u want go with a i7-9xx series, that processor support tri-channel that are 6GB(3x2GB), so, the RAM that u buy to ur friend or a similar option like I post could run but isn't goo for that kind of CPU.