Compiter freeze

lindaberrien1

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Hello
Computer will stop in middle of booting it. Takes two or three times to complete boot. Once I get into a program it will work fine and then suddenly the mouse stops working and nothing will respond. May work five minutes fine or a few hours fine but will eventually freeze up. Then picture screen goes blank and have to turn off manually. Computer is old (five years) and dirty inside. Can anyone please tell me what I can do.
Can not afford new one. Am running XP.
Any help greatly appreciated.

One can of compressed air & blast the inside clean.
run chkdsk /r on the windows drive.
run system file checker (provided you have Windows CD to fix errors.

lindaberrien1

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I don't have system disk. Where can I get one. Computer is almost impossible to use now. Gets worse everyday. Downloaded Avast and it really came to a standstill. Have so much work to do and can't depend on computer. Am just about frantic. Defragged and ran check disk but no good. Think I am going to take Avast off. It didn't start the problem but it is slowing things down tremendously.
Appreciate your taking the time to answer my first post.
Linda Berrien

Got a friend who has XP disk ?

One thing you might try, is to download RKILL from www.bleepingcomputer.com

Its purpose is to kill known viruses/infections, so that one is able to run the antivirus scans or anti malware scans. Since AVAST does not run, this may allow it to run. Also Malwarebytes includes a tool (Chameleon) to disguise itself from infections and alllow it to run to detect infections.

lindaberrien1

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Avast does run and tells me there is no problem. Avast itself is a problem because it makes everything run so slowly. I finally uninstalled it. I don't know if you will get this message or not because now my email will not download. I had some kind of system back up that I tried to use but the computer says it can't run that program because a file is corrupted. Does this mean I have to install XP again? Guess I need to foind someone with the disk or buy one.
Anyhow you are very kind to respond to this frustrating problem and I thank you.

What did you have for an antivirus before you downloaded AVAST ? If you didn't have anything, then chances are your computer is infected to the nth degree. Could also be causing your restore not to run and giving msgs that something is corrupted. Then again, if system is corrupted, you need the XP Cd to repair-install, run system file checker, or reinstall the OS. You could give one more try, and download Malwarebytes Antimalware, and run it after you run the RKILL utility I previously mentioned.
PS: How much RAM is on your computer ? If less than 1GB, you need more.