New to overclocking... Need help

Peds013

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hi guys!

I'n new to the over-clocking world, and new the forums too.

I've searched through the forums on this site (and everywhere else on the internet) for help and can't find anything. I've done quite a lot of reading up and learning so I'm trying not to ask too many dumb questions!

I've currently got a basic setup with the hope of upgrading when I finish uni and get some cash!(current system specs are below) I added a water cooling loop on the CPU to make it all a bit quieter and am getting nice low temps with almost silent running - so all's well in that department.

As part of my course I run many computer simulations (taking anywhere from an hour to several days) and I want to overclock so I can run them faster. I also use my pc for gaming, but not too often.

Current system specs are:
i3-540
asus P7H55-M/USB3
(2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800(1600)
GTS450

I don't seem to be able to change the multiplier on my cpu even though various sources on the internet say its unlocked...So I've had to go down the BCLK frequency route.
I started overclocking with the asus turboV EVO program so I didn't have to keep restarting my pc. I went up in steps of 10MHz from the standard 133. All was going smoothly but I realised the RAM freq was getting high.
at ~150MHz BCLK the pc just shutdown and restarted at the default 133MHz.

I figure I need to change the dependence of the DRAM freq to FSB freq?? (I assume I'll probably have to do the same with the PCI settings?)
but I've looked though the BIOS and cant find out how.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!! Have I even identified the source of my problem correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

I'm and AMD guy so I don't know much about the i3 but you should be able to downclock your memory. If its 1600mhz memory your set at 6.66 or 800mhz, take that down to 5.33 or 1333mhz. That gives you room to increase the FSB without bugging out your ram. Also, even though its a pain you need to work out of BIOS. Overclocking takes a lot of time and trial & error, but its the best way to do it.

PiraticaL

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I was sort of lucky in that my RAM freq is auto linked to my FSB so it automatically changes the ratio to keep the RAM from going over what its rated for. Its kind of an old board though. Usually most people set the memory divider to a 1:1 ratio in order to keep the RAM from freqs from getting too high. I can't say exactly how you would do that with your mobo though but there should be a way to set it in the BIOS in the memory settings.

Peds013

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I had no luck finding the RAM multiplier in the BIOS. So I opted for the cheats way out using the asus turboV EVO program and seeing what it came out with.

It's given me a nice 4.1 GHz, and after running prime95 for 24 hours it seems to be stable.

I am worried about the voltage to the CPU. I have read that the i3 chips are very sensitive to increased voltages and even though the temps are 'safe' (50 deg under load in prime95) the chips can be damaged quickly.

The auto setting on the turboV has bumped the CPU Voltage to 1.3625V. I wondered if anybody more knowledgeable could tell me if that was safe?

Many Thanks!

The maximum voltage according to intel is 1.40, and you are under that. Considering that manufacturers tend to be conservative with their maximum recommended voltage I think you are just fine.

TRENDING THREADS