Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How long a processor heatsink lasts.

Last response: in CPUs
January 22, 2010 2:11:07 PM

my system is about 5 yrs old,. it has started to show thermal problems now. should i try to replace the heat sink arrangement as the system freezes after i load a game for 10 min or so.. i have changed the thermal compound in between but it showed no improvement..

after a connected a case fan i can run up to 1 hr before automatic shutdown .. pls help...
January 22, 2010 2:17:35 PM

Connected a case fan to the heatsink, or to the case?

Provided the heatsink is clean and the thermal paste applied correctly, the heatsink itself won't wear out. Sounds like you either have inadequate case ventilation or a broken CPU fan. If it's a stock cooler, you could struggle to find a replacement fan. Try looking on ebay, but it might be cheaper just to get a new stock heatsink and fan combo.

Before you start replacing stuff though, download Harware Monitor or something similar and confirm it is actually the temps causing the problem. Also check GPU temps, as that could cause freezing.
a c 131 à CPUs
January 22, 2010 3:23:25 PM

If it turns out that your CPU temperature is too high and your fan is not broken. I am assuming this is a new problem and it was running fine in the past so your current system setup is not the cause.
1. clean dust from inside the system
2. reseat the heatsink with new thermal compound. the heatsink itself will last forever as it is a hunk of metal.
Related resources

Best solution

a c 96 à CPUs
January 22, 2010 4:38:59 PM

ullas said:
my system is about 5 yrs old,. it has started to show thermal problems now. should i try to replace the heat sink arrangement as the system freezes after i load a game for 10 min or so.. i have changed the thermal compound in between but it showed no improvement..

after a connected a case fan i can run up to 1 hr before automatic shutdown .. pls help...

You connected a case fan and your machine ran much longer than before (one hour vs. ten minutes.) That seems pretty suggestive of heat building up in the case causing the CPU to overheat, which means you have inadequate airflow into and out of the case. I would first suggest dusting out the entire case well, particularly the air intake in the front of the case. There is probably a lot of dust built up in your case if the machine is five years old and you've never dusted it out enough. Then if that's not enough, consider adding another case fan or two.
January 29, 2010 7:10:04 PM

Best answer selected by ullas.
!