Can you overclock with dry ice?

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
The world record for benchmarking used dry ice..im guessing when you add water to dry ice your creating liquid nitrogin...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUEpFef6caQ

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Cool so you want to fool around a bit & check it out...A good place to pick up dry ice is at dairies they use it to pack ice cream before shipping to make the ice cream rock hard before delivery....

Snowsniper2

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Haha overclocking Pentium 4s is fun I have a huge supply of them too I'm building an air cooled p4 and see how far I can get it I got a supply of 8 3.2 ghz p4s to see how far I can get it

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Tell me how did you inquire a supply of P4's...Are they the 478 slot...your still sitting on a few bucks.. there's still a demand for P4's running Xp home or pro..& 3.2 ghz on top of that...lucky dude...And tell you there the one's to use if your using dry ice ..its imposible to use the new processors because they freeze up real fast pose to the single core p4's.Iv seen many video's were they use quad cores and no way they all freeze up...Anyways have fun..

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
If your mechanically inclined & willing to do a lil research on the matter i cant see why it should cost so much...Only problem you might have is finding dry ice people on youtube are using liquid nitrogin but you can still use dry ice and water would be cheaper, its not like your being real serious about this...over all if you can find dry ice somewhere on google the rest would be how creative you can be.. but do your research one thing you have to watch out is condinsation around were the liquid touches your block which is against your cpu....watch some videos on youtube to give you an idea..over all price i wouldnt have any idea..

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

No, the water just evaporates the dry ice, creating cold water and carbon dioxide gas.

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Yes you can use dry ice...havnt you done any experiments in science class...you add water and dry ice creates carbon dioxide gas yes but it still gets real cold...cold enough if you place a banana in the glass for 10 seconds then hit the desk it will smash like glass...all you do is just extend you block tube add water then keep on adding dry ice but still theres things you have to worry about like condensation dripping on to the motherboard but if your mechanically inclined you can pull it of...over all its easier to find dry ice pose to liquid nitrogin...dont you need licence and permits to use liquid nitrogin. This guy who wants to try a lil overclocking cant be totally commited to using liquid nitrogin so dry ice is a way cheaper alternative

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Most of the companies that made the LN Evaporator have stopped making them. (probably due to liability issues) Here are some good close-ups of one from Koolance. It should give you a good idea of what's involved.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/987/1/

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Sure you can use dry ice and water havnt you used both in science class were you add water and dry ice in a glass then add a rose for 10 second then hit the desk and it smashes like glass so over all it still get about 100 below zero...Tell you right now you might beable to find dry ice but sure as hell youll never find liquid nitrogin myself i wouldnt even consider using the stuff its way to dangerous its like acid you get a drop on your clothing it will burn a hole right through you...

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Myself i think its not a good idea..that stuff can be dangerous if you happen to get some on yourself.. plus no one is really an expert its all trial & error.. you just dont put that stuff in and start benchmarking most freeze up the cpu then they bring the temp down by using a torch and when the cpu starts up again this is when you start benching..you can go all day just to get a few marks.. myself id leave that to the experts.