P6X58D-E Questions

kontrol

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
After reading its review, I saw this

The P6X58D-E isn’t issue-free, though, as it (and all other boards of similar slot arrangement) requires a nonstandard eight-slot case in order to “properly” support a third double-slot card, which is a step backward for ease-of-installation compared to the older, low-budget P6T.

Since English is not my natal language, I'd like to make sure that it only mean that I should get a non standard case only if I want to put 3 double slot card (Like 3 5970). So If I want to put two 5850 or two GTX470 a standard case will do.

Also I saw this

Express Gate Flash drive

What is that? I Guess it's not the Express Gate the mini OS on board that let you boot in 5 sec and chat with people?

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- Yeah, the 1st quote only means that u need a Full ATX case for handle 3-Way or 4-Way Crossfire or SLI. For 2x5850 or 2x470 a mid tower is enough.

2- The Asus Express Gate is a software application installed in the firmware of newer Asus motherboards. Express Gate acts as a mini operating system, offering the user access to mini-games, their photos, instant messenger programs, Skype, the Web, and more, within 5 seconds of powering on their PC. Express Gate loads immediately, prior to the computer entering the main operating system, be it Linux, Windows, or other.. Complete source here

kontrol

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Thank. I only plan to put two SLI so I guess I'll be OK.

You gave me the description of Asus Express Gate, but I wrote Asus Express Gate Flash Drive, which I'm not sure It's the same. I read the P6X58D-E description on Asus webpage state that it have ther Asus Express Gate. So that's why I'm asking.

It's the same, the only difference is that u install the software in a Flash drive and not in the HD of the rig.

Obviously, the performance in the HD and the flash drive is very different.

rbarrett

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Kontrol, I have the same board with a sapphire vapor-x 5850 and it looks like there is 0 room in between the first and second x 16 slots after I put the card in. Are you having issues putting your two cross fire cards in? I'm afraid I'll short out both cards....

kontrol

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I don't have this board yet. Will start buying those pieces soon.

I noticed looking at the board picture that the two x16 slot are very close. But there is a slot between both no? Or is the 5850 that big?

I will probably go for two SLI GTX 470 (Yes I'm trying it hehe) so I wonder if that would fit. But I didn't see huge warning from review on the board that no SLI would fit. I only saw that they are a bit too close to each other.