Where do games write their Gameplay data ?

humble dexter

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
For gaming, this article suggests using a SSD with fast writes to improve "Gameplay", rather then a SSD with fast reads to improve "Game startup" and "Level loading" : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-gaming-performance,2991-14.html

But what it doesn't mention, is where those games are writing their "Gameplay" data.

Meaning if you install Windows on a SSD (C:\Windows\), and a game on a HD (D:\MyGame\), where will today's games usually be writing their "Gameplay" data ?
- On the HD, because that's where the game is installed (in "D:\MyGame\").
- On the SSD, because that's where Windows stores it's user data (in "C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\MyGame\").

I'm asking because this seems important when choosing what kind of gaming SSD you should aim for (faster reads or faster writes), and how you use it (for Windows or for disk caching), depending on what parts of gaming you want to improve the most (game startup and level loading, or gameplay).

Example : Using a SSD with extremely fast reads but slow write speeds on a Z68 chipset with SRT (smart response technology), to cache a HD that has both Windows and Games on it, could work great for game startup and level loading, but could possibly decrease "Gameplay" instead of improving it (because all those Gameplay writes would have to be made to both the SSD and HD, instead of only being made to one of the two).

humble dexter

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Well I checked and it seems most games I play save their data in "C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\My documents".

Thing is, I still don't know if those "Gameplay" writes that article is refering to, happen on the drive where the game is installed (as temporary data or whatever), or on the save game drive (as saved games).