Sign in with
Your question

P6X58D Premium not detecting 6GB of RAM in BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
May 6, 2010 2:52:54 PM

MB: Asus P6X58D Premium
RAM: OCZ Gold 1600 3x2 GB OCZ3G1600LV6GK(on compatibility list)
Processor: Intel Core i7-930
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
PSU: Corsair HX850
Video: Sapphire Radeon 5830
HD: Velociraptor 150GB

So I put this build together last night and it booted up and everything seemed fine(haven't installed an OS yet) with the exception that the BIOS was only detecting 4GB of RAM, while I have 6GB installed.

The motherboard's manual says I can use one stick in A1/B1/C1 to boot. I have tried every stick of RAM in the C1 slot, and they all detect fine by the BIOS as 2 GB. I did the same experiment in the B1 slot, worked. One stick in C1, one in B1 -- 4GB detected, cool.

I tried booting with just one stick in the A1 slot... no display whatsoever.

So it's looking to me like my A1 slot is dead.

I read around that other people have this issue with this motherboard. Some people said it can be caused by a short. I'm worried that the Hyper 212 might be shorting the motherboard. The backplate had insulating tape on it that seemed okay, but are the front standoffs non-conductive metal? They're directly on the motherboard with no tape/film on them.

I also had trouble installing the Hyper 212 in the HAF 922 case without removing the motherboard, because the hole in the back of the motherboard tray was too small to fit the backplate. I don't think this should cause an issue, the backplate is not touching the case(barely, but it shouldn't matter because the backplate shouldn't be running any electricity anyways).

Any ideas? I got the P6X58D Premium open box from Newegg so I think I'm screwed on that front
May 6, 2010 10:29:17 PM

I look at the board really closely with a flashlight and sure enough a pin was bent out of place. I used a needle to put it back in line and everything's groovy now in the A1,B1,C1 slots and I get all 6 gigs recognized at 1600 mhz :) 
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 296 V Motherboard
May 6, 2010 11:34:49 PM

I think that u need enable the addressable memory to use the 6GB
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2010 8:11:54 AM

saint19 said:
I think that u need enable the addressable memory to use the 6GB

explain por favor
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2010 9:17:54 AM

msconfig -> Boot -> Advanced options -> Maximum memory -> 6144
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2010 1:15:40 PM

ashgromnies said:
I look at the board really closely with a flashlight and sure enough a pin was bent out of place. I used a needle to put it back in line and everything's groovy now in the A1,B1,C1 slots and I get all 6 gigs recognized at 1600 mhz :) 

Well Done!
m
l
May 12, 2010 6:58:08 AM

I had the same problem with my P6T that was only only detecting 4 when I have 6, what you should do it take all of the out and just try different sticks in different slots, that is what i did and it worked.

Only help I can offer!

C Cowan
m
l
June 22, 2010 10:06:06 PM

i still think OCZ is poor quality
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2010 11:18:11 PM

gangstap said:
by the way just an update I am 99.9% sure it is not a problem with your mb. Try and get your hands on another triple channel kit and I assure you it will work fine. OCZ memory is horrid and this MB/RAM combination is flawed.

6 weeks later and you apparently still haven't read the second post by the OP, in which he states that the problem was a bent pin.
I have 2 of the same boards and 2 sets of the same ram, no flaws.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2010 4:33:48 AM

delluser1 said:
6 weeks later and you apparently still haven't read the second post by the OP, in which he states that the problem was a bent pin.
I have 2 of the same boards and 2 sets of the same ram, no flaws.

LOL.....and this happens all the time. People don't bother to actually read the thread. Its understandable with one that goes on for 6 pages, but he answered his own question 45 minutes before anyone else replied. :ange: 
m
l
!