Updating Bios

max787

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Hi,
I plan on updating my BIOS this weekend and was browsing the Sapphire site for updates...my search led me to find several updates and i just wanted to know if i need to install all of them or just the most recent one?

Here is the link http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/downloads/download_index_01.aspx?psn=0006

Select: Mainboard-> AMD socket AM3-> Discrete crossfireX-> 790GX -> win7 64 bit

You will then see that there are 7 different files listed under BIOS!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My specs are:
AMD 955
Sapphire 790GX mobo
1600 MHZ DDR3 RAM (arriving on saturday)

Thanks,
Max

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Just the most recent one. Also, I'm not familiar with Sapphire's procedures for updating BIOS but if they are like Asus or Gigabyte they will have a couple options - 1 involving a windows based software program and another than is done inside BIOS or during boot. If that's the case, stay away from the Windows based software option. For BIOS updates in general, when using Windows based software tools too many things can go wrong and the end result is your nice mobo is a fancy paper weight.

max787

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
thanks for the reply, the downloaded file contains a BAT file that is executed in Windows...should i be wary of this? is flashing a BIOS in windows really dangerous or is it just paranoia?

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Both (dangerous and paranoia). Right click on the BAT file and select EDIT. What are the contents?

Also, I looked for instructions from Sapphire on how to update their BIOS but couldn't find any. If you have a link to instructions I'd be happy to review it.

max787

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Unfortunately their site doesn´t have ANY instructions :(

The BAT contains the following:

AFUDOS HA08S09.ROM /P /B /N /C

I left this out earlier: The BIOS file downloaded contains 4 files

the BAT
An application (.exe) called AFUDOS
a ROM called HA08S09
and a READ-ME txt file that says to execute the BAT file from windows and it will do the rest.

I was doing some research and was wondering if i could put these files onto a bootable USB drive and boot/flash from it? isn´t this what a ROM is for?

I must say that i am dissapointed by sapphire´s lack of support documentation...but i guess it serves me right for getting a cheap mobo!

Thanks for your help

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
There really isn't much info out there about flashing Sapphire boards. Or my google skills are failing me today. The best I've come up with so far is one guy's suggestion to update via DOS and google Flash BIOS from USB

The thread is curent (today) so you can watch to see if this guys successful: http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/727220-sapphire-790gx-am3-mobo-update-2.html

Found a promising thread. They're talking about an ASUS board but one post says to try the AFUDOS program (which is apparently what your Sapphire is using) by creating a self-booting USB stick and putting the files on that stick. Then when you boot to DOS via the USB stick, you could run that batch or the command line that's in the batch file. http://forum.pcstats.com/showthread.php?t=65392

max787

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Thats great, thanks!
I think that i will flash from a bootable USB stick but just to be sure;

I use the HP program to make the USB drive bootable and then copy and paste the BIOS files (BAT, exe and rom) onto the USB drive.

I then boot to the USB drive and type this at the CMD prompt:
afudos /i[BIOS-Filename].ROM /pbnc /n

Correct?

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I would use the command line that's in your batch file; i.e.: AFUDOS HA08S09.ROM /P /B /N /C

I couldn't find an explanation of the command line parameters but I have seen many postings for the syntax "afudos /i[BIOS-Filename].ROM /pbnc /n" and the syntax "AFUDOS [BIOS-Filename].ROM /P /B /N /C". Since the latter was in your batch, I'd start with that.

Here's another "guide" for using AFUDOS (specifically for ECS boards, but same principle): http://www.ecs.com.tw/extra/flashutl/afuusb.pdf

D

Deleted member 773795

Hello, I tried the parameters as explained in afudos v2.41 but they didn´t work as expected.

with /pbnc option it stops erasing bios in 81%.

Anyone could help me explaining how to fully copy the contents of the bios (100%) and fully erase the contents of the bios (100%) with afudos v2.41 for an ASUS M4N68T-M LE board ?

Thanks.