Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cooler Master HAF 922 or CM 690 II...

Last response: in Components
January 22, 2010 3:59:35 PM

I've been doing a lot of research on new cases and the two cases I like the most are the Cooler Master HAF922 and the CM690 II. Which do you think I should go for and why? Thanks!

More about : cooler master haf 922 690

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2010 6:44:23 PM

jkapernicus said:
I've been doing a lot of research on new cases and the two cases I like the most are the Cooler Master HAF922 and the CM690 II. Which do you think I should go for and why? Thanks!

Are you open to recommendations? If so check this beauty out. Designed by Lian Li with Lian Li genius intact. It's going to cost $18~ to ship but it's totally worth it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you absolutely must have the HAF922 or the CM690. Both cases are great but both with cons/pros.

HAF 922 pros over CM 690:
* Superior Cooling: 1x 200mm intake,1x 200mm exhaust, and 120mm exhaust. The top 200mm exhaust can be swapped out for 2x 120mm fans or a dual 120mm radiator.
* It's wider, and provides a bit more cable management room behind the mobo tray.
* It is also longer for those extra long cards. (I measured the HAF 922 and it appears to have a 13" clearance from expansion slot to hard drive bay.

CM 690 pros over HAF 922:
* It is painted black inside as well, the HAF 922 is not painted inside.
* Comes with a eSata-X dock on the top.
* Comes 2.5"/1.8" Hard drive/SSD adapters.
* Motherboard tray extends to the Hard drive cages (helps hide cables better then the HAF 922)
* Comes with a VGA bracket if you so desire it.

You can choose now :p 
January 22, 2010 7:09:50 PM

Thanks. Very informative response. The Lancool looks really good. Looks like I have some more thinking to do. Why would you pick the Lancool over the CM cases?
m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2010 1:07:30 AM

I think those two cases are pretty comparable. I just had the same decision to make earlier except i chose the storm sniper over both of them. The look is a personal preference, but i think it has better features and cooling then both of them. I would at least look at reviews online all of the cases.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2010 10:51:29 AM

Well Lancool Dragonlord series is actually designed by Lian Li (and made by them as well).
Lian Li is known for introducing innovative features to their computer cases for example on the dragon lord k62:

* Lian Li build quality.
* Power supply latch for extra support on the power supply, (the latch is tool-less made of aluminum so it's durable.
* Expansion spot tool-less design. Uses a more sophisticated clip type of action. Made of aluminum, so it's durable. it is far superior to any tool less expansion slot design I have seen.
* Tool-less hard drive design, better then Coolermasters by far. Rails are all metal, with easy access and good quality materials.
* Tool-less 5.25" design as well, similar to Coolermaster's.
* Comes with cable management clips. They're thick black plastic clips that feel durable, cables can be run through them for cable management.
* No sharp edges.
* All fans and options fans for intake come with removable clip on dust filters for easy access.
* Power supply has rubber paddings at bottom/ventilation at bottom for good PSU cooling/little vibrations.

The only con I can think of with the Dragonlord k62 is the fact that it doesnt have a removable motherboard tray. But it's forgivable since the price point is kinda low, and also it has a CPU retention hole..
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
January 23, 2010 3:19:49 PM

AsAnAtheist has pretty much covered all of the important points but I would like to add another important factor - best bang for the buck. At less than $100.00 in the USA (mwave.com has the lowest prices) the Lian Li Dragon Lord cases are an excellent value. I purchased a Dragon Lord case for my new personal pc.

Lian Li also did something quite unusual but much appreciated. They offer quite a few variations of the Dragon Lord cases that should appeal to different personal preferences. Here is a link to a web page showing all the variations they have available:

http://www.lancoolpc.com/en/product/product04.php?cl_in...

Here's the one I got:

http://www.lancoolpc.com/en/product/product06.php?pr_in...

A couple of days ago I ran several torture tests at 100% load while monitoring motherboard, cpu and cpu core temperatures. The results were excellent. I can safely say that case ventilation, airflow, and cooling are very good.

I've used numerous Coolermaster cases including the HAF 932 which is the 922's big brother and the Centurion 590 which is the 690's little brother. They are all good cases. The 690 is the best looking case.

Sometimes case selection is a matter of personal preference.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2010 5:03:17 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
AsAnAtheist has pretty much covered all of the important points but I would like to add another important factor - best bang for the buck. At less than $100.00 in the USA (mwave.com has the lowest prices) the Lian Li Dragon Lord cases are an excellent value. I purchased a Dragon Lord case for my new personal pc.

Lian Li also did something quite unusual but much appreciated. They offer quite a few variations of the Dragon Lord cases that should appeal to different personal preferences. Here is a link to a web page showing all the variations they have available:

http://www.lancoolpc.com/en/product/product04.php?cl_in...

Here's the one I got:

http://www.lancoolpc.com/en/product/product06.php?pr_in...

A couple of days ago I ran several torture tests at 100% load while monitoring motherboard, cpu and cpu core temperatures. The results were excellent. I can safely say that case ventilation, airflow, and cooling are very good.

I've used numerous Coolermaster cases including the HAF 932 which is the 922's big brother and the Centurion 590 which is the 690's little brother. They are all good cases. The 690 is the best looking case.

Sometimes case selection is a matter of personal preference.

I would have preferred to pick up the K62, but I got my HAF 922 for $89.99 with a $20 MIR so that was a great deal from Fry's. Anyways I just need to paint the inside now (if I find the time) and smoothen out very few of the edges..

I am going to now do dimensions for a few mods I want to install on it, particularly a plastic cover that goes along side of the drive cages to cover cables.
m
l
January 23, 2010 6:44:17 PM

Hardware Canucks does a video review on the CM690 II, well alot of sites did on the same day when this updated model became available. For 99.00 , its seems very impressive.
http://www.*****/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/27448-cooler-master-690-ii-advanced-video-review.html put youtube link, site filter does not like "c a n u c k" :) 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvBjEmXJnI&feature=play...
For my new rig , I chose the Antec 300, it was on sale with the earthwatts psu at Best Buy, saved on shipping. There really are a lot of great choices for cases. As a afterthought I like black inside(which I don't have), even though I don't have a window, lol. I like psu on bottom. I like a hole in the m/b tray behind cpu (don't have). And now that I have seen different designs, I like the ones that have extra space behind the m/b tray with strategic holes for all your wiring to enter and exit.

Someone pointed out the coolermaster web site has some great deals on refurbished models. While there I stumbled upon there selection of hand painted cases. They must be ones that haven't sold, they quote the original prices as 999, that to much for almost anyone. But marked down at 299? For a unique gift , for someone, I think it would be cool. http://cmstore.coolermaster-usa.com/advanced_search_res...
Sorry for the long post with a lot of unneeded extra , it was all fresh in my mind.
m
l
February 9, 2010 11:21:16 PM

Best answer selected by jkapernicus.
m
l
!