USB 3.0 not recognizing device

RandomQuestion

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
For some reason my USB 3.0 is no longer recognizing my external HD. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but still nothing. Windows finds the device when its plugged into a USB 2.0 port, but when it try the USB 3.0 my HD powers on for a second then turns off.

I've used it before, like today as a matter of fact. Not to sure whats wrong... I was about to install windows 7, but I had to cancel because I forgot to backup my Steam games. I can use the 2.0 port, but 135 gigs is alot to copy at 15 mb/sec as opposed to 70-100+ mb/sec.

I have a 500GB Hitachi Touro external HD and a GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R mobo.

Hm... maybe something in bios got reset or something? I really wanted to do a clean install of windows tonight. As a side note, does anyone know of a good program that will break down whats on my hard drive by percentage or something like that? I've got 140GB free of 1TB, but so far all of my movies, games, music, and other misc. programs I use account for around 470GB, meaning I got around 350 gigs of unaccounted for storage which is why I really want to do a clean install of windows and format my HD. I just want to see where it all went.

nisen

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Id this problem, the usb3 external drive wouldnt show up when plugged into the usb3 ports, but still showed up in the usb2 ports, yet any usb2 devices still worked in the usb3 ports

Turned out the problem was my startup routine wasnt loading all the drivers and services (was stuck on 'Selective startup' in the msconfig/General tab). However trying to change it back to 'Normal startup' would crash msconfig, so restarted windows in safe mode but in safe mode after unticking 'Safe boot' (in msconfig/Boot) so itd restart normally next time, the Startup selection in the msconfig/General had changed back to 'Normal startup' on its own, so just had to restart the system and the change carried over.

Iow bit of a strange glitch and work around considering i didnt need to change anything, just launch in safe mode then restart the system normally

the systems a HP dv6 laptop with Win7 64bit, the external drives a WD My Book 3.0

rickbeaz

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I have the exact same problem with my Apricorn EZ-Ugrade USB 3.0 hardrive enclosure. I spent two days troubleshooting the USB 3.0 ports on my computer and finally just discovered this gem buried on the Apricorn site:

A very small percentage of computer manufacturers incorporate an ASMedia 1042 or 1043 USB 3.0 Host Bus Controller. Revision 1 thru 4 of this ASMedia chipset does not adhere to the USB 3.0 standard and is not compatible with Apricorn USB 3.0 products. If your computer was manufactured with one of these chipsets, you will only be able to use your Apricorn product on a USB 2.0 port. For troubleshooting purposes you can view the manufacturer of your USB 3.0 chipset by viewing the properties of your USB 3.0 controller in the computer's Device Manager, unfortunately the revision of the chipset is not displayed.

Samsung says I can't modify the chipset. Best Buy doesn't seem to care that they sold me a laptop with USB 3.0 ports that only barely qualify as 3.0, but don't actually work with the 3.0 device they also sold me. Awesome.

Simba Chang

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014

My motherboard is Asus p8z77-v lk, which has ASMedia 1042 USB
then i go to asus official site to update my USB driver and it worked

The name should be like this (for windows 8.1):
Asmedia USB 3.0 Driver V1.16.12.0 for Windows Win8.1 32bit & 64bit---(WHQL)

Krishanu Khatri

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
i had the same problem and i had to use my 1TB WD Passport on USB2.0 for 1 year !!!
Yesterday i had purchased 1TB Seagate Backup Plus and i just used Seagate's cable with WD drive...
n guess wat..!! it worked perfectly fine...
now i am going to purchase a new cable...
never thought a cable could create such a problem...!!
although i have several times reset my bios but that too didn't worked
guess it was not bios problem in my case...

scarzy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
what i literally just tried.

i just opened the devices and printers after right click the usb symbol bottom right.

the i double clicked the hard drive, then i double clicked the name of ext hdd.

i then clicked unistall driver after it was complete i unplugged my ext hdd.

plugged it back in and it reinstalled and i couls access everything.

hope this helps :)

Nostalgic Zalo

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
I have the same problem my keyboard and mouse are recognized even my brothers pendrives but my portable disk 3.0 verbatim is not recognized in windows xp i tried everything my motherboard is asus ASUS M5A78L-M LX i downloaded the chipsets and installed nothing happened

michelm52

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015

EvD

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Had the same problem with my renesas USB 3.0 card.
With the driver installation a small utility was installed called "USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility"
Run it, and uncheck the safe energy box.
That did it for me!

Regards
E

charlsmv

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
This is the definettly resolution. Take out the disk from the case and put it in another new case for hard disk, the real problem is the reading card inside de external disk.

IomegaUser

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
I have a 2tb Iomega Prestige USB 3.0 external drive that has been working flawlessly for 4 years with the 3.0 cable connected up to a 2.0 port in a generic desktop under Windows 7 Ultimate. I just got a Lenovo Thinkpad T450s with Windows 8.1 that only has 3.0 USB ports and the Iomega fails just as reported by so many others. After 3 days trying all the different fixes, I thought 'you want 2.0? I'll give you 2.0". After connecting it to the Thinkpad 3.0 port with an old standard 2.0 cable, it worked like a charm and I got my Macrium system image in ten minutes.