Sign in with
Your question

MSI Ati Radeon 4890 OC edition screeching...?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 13, 2009 10:02:17 PM

Hello

I have been running my computer since the start of september running my Radeon 4890 card and recently i have started doing some gaming on it to take advantage of the power of my new computer...

but everytime i start a game a sound comes from the case from the video card like a screech or a whine.... and i changes in pitch to the processig going on.

Now ive opened the case to see maybe if its a wire hitting it or something but its complelty clear.

if anyone can help me with this id be thankful (and i dont mind if i have to send it in for replacement...its only 2 months old!!!)

PS... does anyone know of a good video card benchmarking test and sensor program to check temperature and cpu speed etc,etc.

thank you
November 13, 2009 10:56:34 PM

Its normal for the 4890 fan to increase speed when the GPU works such as when playing games. You can use CPU-Z and CPU-ID to get temp and voltage measurements(CPU, GPU, Memory, etc) while your PC is running. CCC also display the actual GPU temp and fans speed when your PC is running.
m
l
November 13, 2009 11:00:38 PM

but is it normal to go dead silent to a buzzing sound almost like bee's instantly?
m
l
Related resources
November 13, 2009 11:43:07 PM

Yes... You can use CCC overdrive to tweak your fan settings. There are other 3rd party software that you can download to adjust your GPU fan settings.
m
l
November 14, 2009 12:27:44 AM

Does it sound like the fan is actually hitting something or is it just an annoying whirring? Sometimes fans can be annoying, but it's only a problem if it sounds like it's making contact with something. Which card do you have specifically?
m
l
!