Sign in with
Your question

HELP! ATI Display Driver causes Realtek not to output sound in W7?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 6, 2010 6:39:24 PM

my motherboard is an MSI 890GXM-G65 AMD® 890GX+SB850

ok ive been using HDMI out to my 23" LEDTV using my onboard HD4290 and allowing audio to be output there, i tried using standard line out cable to the 3.5mm jack speakers to try the Realtek onboard audio but no sound was coming out even if Realtek is set as "Default Device" and you can see the audio meter/grapgh go up and down when playing audio but no sound, i tried speakers and heatsets but sill no luck, tried to system restore to back before everything i installed on Windows 7 but no luck so i decided to try a fresh reinstall, and the 1st thing that comes out is sound from the onboard audio, so i carefully reinstalled drivers and when i got to the catalyst drivers on my MoBo Driver CD the sound so i uninstalled one by one the catalyst drivers only to find out that it was the ATI Display Driver causing the problem so i reinstalled catalyst EXCEPT for the ATI Display Driver and sound was still coming from the onboard audio and upon installing ATI Display Driver sound on the onboard audio disappears again

does anyone know what the heck to do? i want to use my onboard audio but i cant seem to do it with the ATI Diaplay Driver installed and i sure cant use my PC without that, PLEASE HELP!
July 21, 2010 1:56:44 AM

Im having a similar problem with same motherboard. Download driver cleaner and let Microsoft install their generic drivers. I was doing fine on WIN7 Pro OS with this mobo until i went to MSI.com and downloaded most updated Realtek audio driver. Im using some "stereo" speakers by Bose and had everything plugged in to analogue input - when i put HD headphones on, i heard sound. I also saw in Sound in Control panel that there is sound moving through an equalizer bar but nothing is coming out of my 3 spkr set up. Before the Realtek update on drivers, WIN7 had a couple of generic audio drivers by Microsoft which operated fine w/analogue. I recommend uninstalling the Realtek driver with internet unplugged. Go to Hardware Mgt and go into Audio, click on uninstall where driver tab is. Reboot with internet still off, check the audio driver tab again in Hardware Mgt and confirm no driver is there, you'll also see the yellow (!) point on the hardware tree after Audio. Now that you have confirmed the Realtek is gone, run Driver Cleaner (a great prog which costs only $10 and can be downloaded on several machines-well worth it). Run the Realtek driver cleaner-there's an HDMI one and a couple others plus the software, run them all to clean the computer and registry thoroughly. Then reboot again. Now, plug your internet cable back in and run yur computer. WIN7 will search for a driver for audio and Microsoft will find one for you...if it asks you to get one, say yes - if it just gets one, let it. Now when it does this go look again at Hardware Mgt and you should see two Microsoft driver listings, one's for main sound another for some secondary sound-i just know i saw two initially before deleting and downloading the Realtek from MSI. At that point, after confirming the Microsoft drivers are now in the audio driver tab, id reboot one last time. Now try your sound and hopefully youre set. Worse comes to worse you can buy an inexpensive sound card by Creative which is much better than whats on the mobo and one was just on sale on www.newegg.com i was considering, not because of the driver problem but because i used the Creative Fatal1ty prior w/my WINXP machine i replaced and the sound was wonderful! Theres a Titanium card right now i saw for $50 on the Egg. Thats like half price and runs on WIN7 plus allows you to still access your front sound plug-in for headphones (which the Fatal1ty didnt). Hope this helps...im currently troubleshooting same problem and i believe it has to do with HDMI vs analogue sound. Hi def headphones work fine, analogue spkrs are not cooperating. However, we want to use the Bose still so i am going back to Microsoft drivers for time being and getting rid of the Realtek. In future, maybe we can post in MSI and/or a Realtek forum and get more info-Im hardly an expert but have had same problem.
m
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
July 21, 2010 3:02:36 AM

xtian63 said:
my motherboard is an MSI 890GXM-G65 AMD® 890GX+SB850

ok ive been using HDMI out to my 23" LEDTV using my onboard HD4290 and allowing audio to be output there, i tried using standard line out cable to the 3.5mm jack speakers to try the Realtek onboard audio but no sound was coming out even if Realtek is set as "Default Device" and you can see the audio meter/grapgh go up and down when playing audio but no sound, i tried speakers and heatsets but sill no luck, tried to system restore to back before everything i installed on Windows 7 but no luck so i decided to try a fresh reinstall, and the 1st thing that comes out is sound from the onboard audio, so i carefully reinstalled drivers and when i got to the catalyst drivers on my MoBo Driver CD the sound so i uninstalled one by one the catalyst drivers only to find out that it was the ATI Display Driver causing the problem so i reinstalled catalyst EXCEPT for the ATI Display Driver and sound was still coming from the onboard audio and upon installing ATI Display Driver sound on the onboard audio disappears again

does anyone know what the heck to do? i want to use my onboard audio but i cant seem to do it with the ATI Diaplay Driver installed and i sure cant use my PC without that, PLEASE HELP!

Download and install DriverSweeper
Run in safemode
Check off ATI and Realtek
Click purge
Restart normal
In add remove programs remove the CC manager and all ATI files
Don't use any software cd's
Download the Realtek drivers for your mobo from MSI
Download your gpu drivers from AMD
m
l
!