Corsair 2x2Gb DDR3
XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB
Scythe Mugen2
Antec 900
Samsung DVD Drive
OCZ 600w Stealth Xtreme
Attempted O/S win 7 pro x64- retail

the problem is that when installing windows 7 it either hangs on the installing updates part, sometimes it gets as far as completing installation but then freezes there too, or it installs with my old sata 80gb hard drive but when installing the ATI CCC it says that no ATI GPU can be found :S.

any info you guys need just ask.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

wez
November 6, 2009 8:45:16 AM

Ok so i thought it was the graphics card maybe DOA but ive just tried it with my 8500GT and still the same thing happens. i cant even get it to install on my 80GB HDD anymore. please help ive only just brought this computer yesterday. ive tried everything i can think of pretty much. ive swapped out the RAM also but that doesnt change anything.

please help guys

thanks
November 6, 2009 9:29:21 AM

I don't want to look like i'm dumping you off on someone else, but is there a local computer parts/repair shop near to you where you can possibly have them take a look at it?

My guess is it could be the motherboard if your RAM and HD swapping hasn't changed anything. If you've overclocked anything, run them at normal speeds while you are fixing this.
Related resources
November 6, 2009 12:22:18 PM

Have you updated to the latest BIOS version? Have you updated the firmware on the Samsung DVD Rom? Have you verified and checked all the connectors, cables, and jumpers to make sure they are secured, properly connected, and/or set to default values?

Since it's a retail copy of Win7, take it back to the store and see if you can exchange for another. It's within possibility that it's a bad disk; unlikely but possible...
November 6, 2009 12:22:27 PM

lol, good idea however my local computer stores are useless if im completely honest. they would try and tell me its my case causing the problem or something lol. i think im going to try a bios update see what happens.

thanks
November 6, 2009 2:41:30 PM

tried the bios update. nothing changed. i borrowed a friends disk and have now got win 7 installed however, about 2 mins after startup the computer just completely freezes and either reboots or just stays frozen until i turn it off. im starting to wonder if its the mobo that has been DOA.

more help please, ive spent so much money on this machine, i just want it working lol.
November 6, 2009 2:46:10 PM

Which exact RAM kits have you tried? Have you tried running the system with a single stick of RAM? Have you run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors? It's possible that the motherboard didn't supply enough voltage for either RAM kit that you tried. The problems that you're describing are most commonly caused by RAM problems.
November 6, 2009 2:57:07 PM

the 2 different sets ive used are as follows:

Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1800MHz HyperX Memory Kit CL8(8-8-8-24)
Corsair 4gb (2x2gb) Ddr3 1333mhz Xms3 Memory Kit Cl9 (9-9-9-24)

i havent ran memtest86+ on my corsair ram, however my brother has recently ran it on his kingston set and there were no problems. im running the system with a single stick now i suppose it could be the ram as taking one stick coincided with finally getting win 7 on the machine.

if this is a problem with RAM voltage, what should i change the voltages too?

November 6, 2009 3:02:20 PM

Which exact Corsair kit do you have? All these match your description and they all require different voltages. The RAM will have a sticker with it's rated specs on the side. That is what specs to manually set in the BIOS.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

The Kingston RAM is rated at a ridiculous (for DDR3) 1.9v. I would say that both RAM kits were possibly being undervolted by your motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 6, 2009 3:10:46 PM

ahhh i see, however, my RAM looks like the top set but none of the model#s match, but it is the XMS3 set.

i shall try changing the ram voltage now.
November 6, 2009 3:16:17 PM

i checked the bios and apparently the voltages were already set to 1.6 like on the sticker. so i upped it to 1.650. going to se if that helps now.
November 6, 2009 3:20:54 PM

You also need to make sure the RAM frequency is set to 1333MHz and the timings are at 9-9-9-24. If the RAM does not pass at least 6 passes of Memtest86+ with the RAM speed/timings/voltage set correctly in the BIOS then I would RMA them.
November 6, 2009 3:27:13 PM

im running memtest now ill get back when its done.
November 6, 2009 3:42:51 PM

whilst im awaiting results of memtest can anyone think of anything else it could be? i really cant see what the problem :( ..... majorly bummed out right now.
November 6, 2009 7:40:22 PM

ok so memtest has finished and has come back with 0 errors. anymore ideas?....im going to try changing the sata-2 to sata-1 and try that.
November 7, 2009 10:19:46 AM

ok so i installed XP pro x64 worked first time however still not stable + plus its not the os i want but its a step closer than what i had. ive also installed my restore disk i created before i built my new comp. im using that now however it still freezes, but it only seems to be when i try and update windows. any theories?
November 7, 2009 10:58:48 AM

right so i think ive narrowed it down to either RAM or GPU. My friend said he brought a Gigabyte MoBo with and AMD processor and 2x2gb and had similar problems (freezing). He swapped the 2x2GB RAM for 4x1GB RAM and has had no trouble since. however the freezing seems to only occur now when im doing something with my graphics, i tried using windows update to update the driver, it froze, i just tried changing my resolution and it also froze.

any ideas anyone?
November 7, 2009 12:38:09 PM

sketch429 said:
right so i think ive narrowed it down to either RAM or GPU. My friend said he brought a Gigabyte MoBo with and AMD processor and 2x2gb and had similar problems (freezing). He swapped the 2x2GB RAM for 4x1GB RAM and has had no trouble since. however the freezing seems to only occur now when im doing something with my graphics, i tried using windows update to update the driver, it froze, i just tried changing my resolution and it also froze.

any ideas anyone?
Do you have the latest mobo chipset drivers? And not the drivers from the install CD. If you haven't already, download the latest chipset drivers from AMD not Gigabyte. Note that reinstalling the chipset drivers may required you to reinstall the gpu and sound drivers as well.
November 7, 2009 7:34:52 PM

I do with the XP X64 however that doesnt help me with getting win 7 on the damn thing. XP is pretty stable now still got the odd glitch so i think im gonna RMA the RAM and get 4 x 1gb if that doesnt help then do you guys think that RMA the MoBo and get an alternative?
November 11, 2009 9:10:43 AM

[SOLVED] thanks for the advice guys. Turns out it was the RAM i RMA'd the 2x2GB Crucial and brought 3x1GB kingston Hyperx and sure enough it works fine now :D .

thanks again
November 11, 2009 3:41:19 PM

I'm glad it's working not, but why did you buy a 3x1GB kit? Your processor has a dual-channel RAM controller. That RAM will run in single channel.
November 11, 2009 3:59:49 PM

yeah i noticed that too but unfortunately i was in a rush to get my comp running as i need it for uni, and unfortunately i couldnt find any 4x1GB kits that would get delivered fast enough. i am however planning on upgrading in the future.

whilst your here though i do have one other small query :) .

when booting up my graphics dont display until windows has loaded, unless i restart then they come on at POST. its not a major problem but just wondering why? i did think maybe it was the PSU but as its 650w im thinking its not, as that is plenty powerful enough.

thanks again
November 11, 2009 6:18:35 PM

sketch429 said:
whilst your here though i do have one other small query :) .

when booting up my graphics dont display until windows has loaded, unless i restart then they come on at POST. its not a major problem but just wondering why? i did think maybe it was the PSU but as its 650w im thinking its not, as that is plenty powerful enough.

thanks again
That's just the computer going thru the POST process faster than it can be displayed, especially if the monitor is cold and was just turned on, that'swhy you see the POST screen after restarting.
November 16, 2009 3:54:52 AM

If anyone is still on this thread i've been having similar problems (complete newb who thought I knew more than I do by the way) with windows 7 HP. Simple programs like firefox and control panel were freezing and the OS froze a few times and I'd have to reset. Talking to a few people I think it may be a hard drive issue. I'm not sure though I tried to reload the os. It was a clean install on a new wd 1.5tb caviar green. Now it has three partitions on the drive and i can't make it through an install. I was hoping to just reformat the whole drive and start over but its not working. Thank you in advance guys.
November 16, 2009 7:52:31 AM

hey dude try loading up with a linux live disk and formatting the drive. then try reinstalling, hope this helps.
November 16, 2009 12:26:30 PM

great news I got windows to format drive I've got it narrowed down to underclocked ram If anyone knows about overclocking i think i may have to adjust some settings for my memory. Here's my pair up MSI 790FX-gd70, 4096mb Patriot Viper II PVV34G2000LLKB pc16000 2000mhz it draws 1.65v I was looking at the msi specs for the motherboard and it says for memory it supports 1600 but it specifies overclocked (I think this means I need to increase the voltage, not sure though) advise?
November 16, 2009 12:43:57 PM

Terribleteee - You should really start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. I will, however, give you a nudge in the right direction. All you need to do is manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to 2000MHz with 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.65v. Your motherboard owners manual should have a section that explains how to set those RAM values.
November 16, 2009 6:49:57 PM

sorry about hijacking the thread but I figured it out I did set the ram timing and voltage but I havn't been able to set the frequency to 2000. It turns out my problem was the harddrive I either did something that corrupted something or it was messed up to start with swapped it out reloaded the os and problem solved. thanx though I'm still working on changing the frequency right now its set to 457 mhz and 544 mhz for dimm 1 & 2 respectively.
!