Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Critical anaylse of build

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 6, 2009 8:39:05 AM

This is the build I have put together as todate. By the way I a from Nz so all the prices are $NZ dollar
The Build is for gaming, net surfing and general use.
Is there anything that I should change
open for suggestion :) 



CPU

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
$468.00


POWER

Thermaltake Toughpower QFan W0204 850W
$316.00


CASE


Cooler Master HAF 932 (Black)
$226.00


GRAPHICS

Sapphire Radeon HD5870 HDMI DisplayPort Dual-DVI 1GB

$674.45 + $674.45

$1348


SSD

Corsair 2.5 X32 32GB
$246.00

HARDRIVE

WD CB 32MB 1TB
$142


DVD RW

Asus DRW- 24B1LT

$85.00

RAM

Corsair XMS3 Twin3x ddr3 pc10600/1333MHz CL9 3z2GB

$240

MOTHERBOARD


Gigabyte GA-EX58--UD5

$457.00


OP

Win 7 Proffesional 64Bit

$232.00

WIRELESS NETWORK

TP-Link TL-WN651G

$31.00

SOUND CARD

Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1

$44.00


COMP SCREEN

LG L246WHX
$489.00


TOTAL
$3852w/screen)

More about : critical anaylse build

November 6, 2009 2:22:40 PM

Can't say anything about the prices but consider these changes:

1.Change the PSU to Corsair 750TX.
2.Get 1 5870.
3.Get 1 Bigger SSD.
November 6, 2009 2:35:49 PM

What can we say? At this budget you can't do anything wrong. I'd get a Corsair or Antec PSU though, much better quality. As said above, 750 will do nicely.

Dual 5870's are overkill, but if you like to be futureproofed, go ahead.

About the SSD: get one Intel Postville 80GB. Cheaper, higher capacity and just as fast.
Related resources
November 6, 2009 2:52:27 PM

"Dual 5870's are overkill, but if you like to be futureproofed, go ahead. "

@OP:
First get a single 5870.It is a very good card.
If you find it inadequate for your needs then buy the second one...
November 6, 2009 2:54:43 PM

That's what I'd do as well. However, the OP seems to want to spend (read: waste) money. Let him go ahead.
November 6, 2009 3:04:39 PM

I recommend changing your RAM to a CAS7, either G.SKILL or OCZ since they are normally lower in price than Corsair. Also, if you can provide the link for where you are buying from, we can better review that site and determine your options.
November 6, 2009 7:15:03 PM

Change to a coolermaster 800watt or a corsair 850watt as it will cost less and are rated excelently. Plus I think 750watts will be sufficient. Switch up to an Intel X-25m Solid State, its 20 bucks more expensive but its 80GB as is very fast. And where the heck did you find a website that sells the i7 920 for 468 dollars. Are you sure you are not confusing it with a 940 or 950?
WHAT???!!!! That gigabyte motherboard costs 280 dollars and that ram is like a 100 dollars. Where are you buying?.....please tell me. For that price you can get i7 975 w/ evga classified mobo, 2 intel ssds in raid, and a 50inch plamsa as the monitor.
November 6, 2009 9:05:21 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Change to a coolermaster 800watt or a corsair 850watt as it will cost less and are rated excelently. Plus I think 750watts will be sufficient. Switch up to an Intel X-25m Solid State, its 20 bucks more expensive but its 80GB as is very fast. And where the heck did you find a website that sells the i7 920 for 468 dollars. Are you sure you are not confusing it with a 940 or 950?
WHAT???!!!! That gigabyte motherboard costs 280 dollars and that ram is like a 100 dollars. Where are you buying?.....please tell me. For that price you can get i7 975 w/ evga classified mobo, 2 intel ssds in raid, and a 50inch plamsa as the monitor.



lol, as i said up the top this is in NZ dollars so if your american it is problay less the half off that. buit i cant sure. the i7 920 is 468 dollars which is problay about 220 $US at the max.
sorry about that
November 6, 2009 9:07:16 PM

tecmo34 said:
I recommend changing your RAM to a CAS7, either G.SKILL or OCZ since they are normally lower in price than Corsair. Also, if you can provide the link for where you are buying from, we can better review that site and determine your options.


the site is www.pricespy.co.nz

it takes all the electronic shops from around the country and dily updates prices for parts, its very good to use when building or buying anything in that area

Also Cosair is by far the cheapest that I can get a hold of.
November 6, 2009 9:15:32 PM

Silmarunya said:
What can we say? At this budget you can't do anything wrong. I'd get a Corsair or Antec PSU though, much better quality. As said above, 750 will do nicely.

Dual 5870's are overkill, but if you like to be futureproofed, go ahead.

About the SSD: get one Intel Postville 80GB. Cheaper, higher capacity and just as fast.


I think I might just get the one GPU at this stage as everybody is saying its not worth getting 2 :D 
Um do you think its beter to wait for the new Ati cards next year or not?

Is this SSD ok? Intel X25-M G2 80GB $484.79 ....Its double the price but since im dropping a card I guess that does not matter

I agree PSU and how does the corsair 750 Watt HX sound?
November 6, 2009 9:46:27 PM

Sorry i should have made it more clear


All prices are in Nz dollars. to givea rough estimation 200 US is 350-400 NZ and 200 Pounds is 600 NZ

I am using www.pricespy.co.nz

this is good site for finding the parts at the lowest avalaible prices from around the country

Revised

CPU

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
$468.00


PSU

Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750W

$298.00


CASE

Cooler Master HAF 932 (Black)
$226.00


GRAPHICS

Sapphire Radeon HD5870 HDMI DisplayPort Dual-DVI 1GB

$674.45


SSD

Intel X25-M G2 80GB
$485.00


HARDRIVE

WD CB 32MB 1TB
$142


DVD RW

Asus DRW- 24B1LT

$85.00

RAM

Corsair XMS3 Twin3x ddr3 pc10600/1333MHz CL9 3z2GB

$240

MOTHERBOARD

Gigabyte GA-EX58--UD5

$457.00


OP

Win 7 Proffesional 64Bit

$232.00

WIRELESS NETWORK

TP-Link TL-WN651G

$31.00

SOUND CARD

Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1

$44.00


COMP SCREEN

LG L246WHX
$489.00


TOTAL
$3494w/screen)
November 6, 2009 9:52:56 PM

I would say go LGA1156 and core i5 and get a 5850 instead of a 5870. The 5850 is really in the right spot for price performance ratio. If you can, you could wait for the end of the month when the 5950 and the 5970 will be released, it will be cheaper than buying 2 graphic cards.

As for the power supply, for a build of this quality, I will go OCZ-Z or Seasonic with a certification of 80plus gold.

I would choose the Silverstone RV-02 Raven for your case. A little more expensive, but really an awesome case.

Also, buy at least an HT Omega Striker for your sound card. Forget sound blaster, they lost a lot in the quality department lately. AUzentech or Omega...

For your SSD, nothing else than the 120GB OCZ Vertex. It's almost the same thing in benches than the Intel one. Physically, there is no difference between the two in any user tasks.
November 6, 2009 9:57:55 PM

That looks like a very solid system that will satisfy your needs for several years. Go for it!
November 6, 2009 10:32:28 PM

yup
November 7, 2009 12:02:04 AM

redgarl said:
I would say go LGA1156 and core i5 and get a 5850 instead of a 5870. The 5850 is really in the right spot for price performance ratio. If you can, you could wait for the end of the month when the 5950 and the 5970 will be released, it will be cheaper than buying 2 graphic cards.

As for the power supply, for a build of this quality, I will go OCZ-Z or Seasonic with a certification of 80plus gold.

I would choose the Silverstone RV-02 Raven for your case. A little more expensive, but really an awesome case.

Also, buy at least an HT Omega Striker for your sound card. Forget sound blaster, they lost a lot in the quality department lately. AUzentech or Omega...

For your SSD, nothing else than the 120GB OCZ Vertex. It's almost the same thing in benches than the Intel one. Physically, there is no difference between the two in any user tasks.



Iv decided to avoid the LGA1156 due to the possibility of being able to upgrade later on, which is a definate yes. possbily to the i9 ina few years. i5 looks impresive but in compatibly issues its something id rather pay the extra 200 bucks. beter safe then sorry. ..also from looking at benchmarks it seems i7 920 is safer at overclocking and with the turbo ur already on 2.8 anyway

However saying that im gona keep looking at the i5 as a possible option, but at this stage i7 still looks a beter all rounder :) 

THe case is awesome, I have a friend with it but i just nhever got into its style, the 90 degrees for mobo looks mint tho

and i agree, im defintaly wating for the ati :0 im just using them as a price scale so i have room for spending on the best graphics card :) 
November 7, 2009 12:34:44 AM

Btw, if you can get the Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1 TB, go for that instead. Its cheaper in the US compared to WD Black 1 TB and better performance.
November 7, 2009 1:22:42 AM

akash3656 said:
Btw, if you can get the Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1 TB, go for that instead. Its cheaper in the US compared to WD Black 1 TB and better performance.


I have had bad times with the samsung hardrives in the past but after reading reviews I may actualy take that into considerations, its about 30 bux cheaper here aswel. and it looks like its the same if not slighlty beter.
cheers :) 
!