Triple Monitor Setup

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Hey everyone,

I am interested in making a triple monitor setup that will allow me to do multiple things at once (particularly programming and gaming simultaneously -- you know, repetitive unproductive RPG combined with something productive.)

I.e. main center monitor could be running my windowed game (since fullscreen is probably not possible at this point) while my other two monitors could be doing something work related OR watching a movie or running my favorite development tools.

My current idea is to purchase two mid-high end video cards, 3 LCD monitors and a triple LCD display stand.

Question is, will this work like I hope it will? I know some people have been using the matrox triple or w/e to make a giant desktop and split it to three monitors, but i am hoping for more of 3 separate desktop type functionality.. I.e. if i maximize a window it will maximize to one desktop, not the full 3 monitors.

Anyone try this? Is there any frame rate hits associated with this? I would assume not..

Thanks.

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I have a TH2G, and if i maxime a window, it maxes to 1 monitor not all 3.

assuming if you are looking at stants you are loooking at Eurgotron?

dont use a TH2G unless u are a techie, they are a nightmare to setup

Frame rate hits, OH HELL YES!.

at 3 x 1680 * 1050 you are running over 5.3 million pixels, this is 25% more than a 30" monitor, if you want to run games at 5040*1050 you need extreme grfx solutions, 2xgpu wont cut it,

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
i can run a windowed game, or a full screen game

so for example 1680*1050 to 5040*1050, if i run at 1680*1050 in a window, i can move it to which ever screen i want. if i want to run full screen at 1680*1050 i can choose which monitor to play on and the other 2 go off. (tho i have never done this on anything but the centre tbh)

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
there are multiple ways of obtaining a 3 monitor setup:
1) as you said, get a high end card and use a triplehead2go
2) get a hd 5870, this card can support 3 monitors at once (privided one is using the DisplayPort output)
3) buy a high end and low end card. connect the monitor you will game with to the high end card and the other two to the low end.

the cool thing is that options 1 and 2 support "ultra wide screen experience" for example game with a screen resolution of 5040x1050 (x3 1680x1050) :)

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Yah I wasn't really worried about the setup of the TH2G, more of having such a huge desktop (I would assume such a large resolution buffer would increase the frame processing latency dropping frame rates.)

Thats why I was looking for more of a multiple card solution, where the primary monitor could have a dedicated gfx processor, and the side monitors could be split the power of a similar gfx processor.

The only thing I am noit sure of is more of the software support aspects; Will windows behave like I am assuming? IF i had 2 pci-x graphics cards not crossfired or SLid ,will it allocate them as two separate display devices? (Will the NVidia/ATI driver also detect the two boards and allow them to create three desktops?)

I will be getting the ergotron LX triple monitor display XD

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
yes windows would run like you described. i currently am running a dual monitor setup off of one hd 4870, i can play the occasional mmorpg in windowed mode on one screen and have an internet browser open on the other. putting another 4870 would give me 4 monitors and everything would work the same.

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Are you sure? Last time I tried two separate boards (which was awhile ago) I had issues with drivers in Windows.

I will give it a shot!

Thanks everyone for the help.

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I would HIGHLY advise NOT to by a triple Eugotron strand, either the LX or DS stands.

I picked one up at the cost of £280. It was fantasic untill i actually put monitors on it. Once I had (Dell E228WFP) the out side monitors dropped from thier own weight (3mm each side). After hours of changing configs with it I disasembled it and sent it back.

Im my opinion if you are paying nearly £300 for a monitor stand it MUST be LEVEL!!!

Get either a deep desk (if u dont the stand of the right monitor will be where you mouse would be) or wall mount them.

jaymoney61

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

Just hook all the monitors up straight to the cards and go to the Windows tool (when you right click on the desktop and go to properties) and set up their placement and resolution. Programs should maximize to one screen.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
You could buy a HD 5750, or any other ATi card in the 5 series. They support 3 displays provided you use one displayport.

Or you could set up a computer to use Surrondview by buying an Ati chipset and an Ati graphics card. Matrox solutions simply extend the display. Physically, it's all considered one monitor and it gets annoying, trust me. It gets treated as one display.