Your question

Stop 0x00000078 (0xF894D640

Last response: in Motherboards
May 6, 2010 11:48:28 PM

Hello,
I have a compaq 7120us,
Pentium 4
512 mb Ram

I had upgraded the hard drive 4 years ago to a WD160 GB, I suspect at one point the computer overheated and it would no longer boot up. I bought another WD500MB to replace the hard drive, but got the disc error message. The old drive I plugged into a wd external casing and was able to access the drive. We decided it was the controller, unfortunately that is hard wired to the motherboard, so I purchased a PCI controller card and plugged it into one of the slots. One cable is connected to the WD500, and the other is connected to the CD drive.

I'm getting a blue screen with the message above stop 0x00000078 (0xF894D640, 0xc000034, 0x0000000, 0x0000000) I managed to load windows XP on this disc but it won't boot, and I have part of the old drive on the disc as well. I could do a low level format if necessary, but I think I may not have the bios configured properly. Help!
May 7, 2010 12:36:12 AM

If you google "stop 0x00000078 (0xF894D640, 0xc000034, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)" there's a fair amount of information in regards to your issue.

An anonymous poster a few months ago submitted this in regards to your issue,

"The problem is usually cause by AHCI/RAID mode of SATA controller. Enter BIOS at startup, go to "Integrated Periferals" or something similar where you can find the "SATA Mode" option and change it from AHCI to ATA or IDE or what looks like that. "

Microsoft has a fair amount of information to look into also here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Good luck!
m
l
May 7, 2010 1:23:56 AM

pinkeyes said:
If you google "stop 0x00000078 (0xF894D640, 0xc000034, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)" there's a fair amount of information in regards to your issue.

An anonymous poster a few months ago submitted this in regards to your issue,

"The problem is usually cause by AHCI/RAID mode of SATA controller. Enter BIOS at startup, go to "Integrated Periferals" or something similar where you can find the "SATA Mode" option and change it from AHCI to ATA or IDE or what looks like that. "

Microsoft has a fair amount of information to look into also here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply, I have read quite a bit about this error but none of it addresses my specific issue. I could not find SATA Mode in BIOS, I do not have that option. This is an old computer 8yrs, but am currently unemployed so I need to save it.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 7, 2010 3:06:52 AM

Ok, I decided to pop in the last hardrive wd 160gb and I get a flash of the blue screen then a black screen that starts with "We are sorry for the incovenience but windows...... then it gives me the option of Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, but whatever I choose, it scrolls through a long list of windows drivers and reboots, and just hangs then goes back to "We are sorry for the inconvenience.....

I need to get this up and going, I have the XP disc but no floppy.
m
l
May 7, 2010 2:05:27 PM

I'm trying to understand what is happening...

Can you not boot to the XP disc?

or

When you "load XP on this disc" do you mean install XP on your 500gb hard drive and then when trying to boot to this hard drive it is unsuccessful?
m
l
May 7, 2010 2:23:08 PM

pinkeyes said:
I'm trying to understand what is happening...

Can you not boot to the XP disc?

or

When you "load XP on this disc" do you mean install XP on your 500gb hard drive and then when trying to boot to this hard drive it is unsuccessful?

No, I can not boot off the XP disc

Using the old PCI controller hardwired to the motherboard, I managed to load the XP program on the 500GB drive. I also managed to recover some of the old files by setting up the old 160gb drive to an external case, downloading it to my laptop, then swapping out the 500gb drive in the same casing and transferring it onto the drive. But, it would not Boot up to XP after the install. I received the error message of "disc read error" and I would get that every time.

Since then, I have plugged the 160GB drive, and have bypassed the PCI controller on the motherboard with a PCI controller card in one of the slots and am now in an endless loop, of "we are sorry for the inconvenience but windows was closed..." I had run Norton on this drive and it did not find any virus.

I received a disc with drivers for the PCI controller card but can not get to the point where I can load them.

I can't help but feel that maybe I don't have the bios set up properly.
m
l
May 7, 2010 6:25:46 PM

OK, I think I'm following.

If you're just copying the files in windows from the 160gb drive to your 500gb drive it won't properly setup the boot partition.

Do you have an XP CD?
m
l
May 7, 2010 11:30:03 PM

pinkeyes said:
OK, I think I'm following.

If you're just copying the files in windows from the 160gb drive to your 500gb drive it won't properly setup the boot partition.

Do you have an XP CD?

I have the XP CD that is how I installed the XP program, it wasn't just copied from another drive, I was actually sucessful in installing it from the cd, but it wouldn't boot, it would give me a disc error message. ( I only copied the my documents folder). Then when I tried to boot off the XP disc, it doesn't recognize the cd drive, so I can no longer get to the install or partition screens.

I managed to find an ME bootable floppy but that just spins.

So now, it gives me the compaq screen, a flash of the blue error screen, the XP screen and finally the black screen with the "we are sorry but windows was closed", giving me the options to boot up in different modes, but selecting any of them sends me to the same screen "we are sorry...
m
l
!