Sign in with
Your question

My first SFF build

Last response: in Systems
November 6, 2009 2:52:30 PM

Hey,

I am just about to start ordering parts for a SFF build.

I have been browsing the forums to get an idea of what components are good and what works well together. During the course of this I have built a fairly good understanding what I want.

This is the build that I have come up with:

- Silverstone Sugo SG04-H (I really would like a handle and this seems like a nice build, supports dual 5850s etc...)
- ASUS Rampage II Gene mATX (nice and easy OC capabilities for a novice like myself, good overall features and connectability)
- Intell i7 920 D0 (nice to have 2x 16x PCIe slots if I decide to go crossfire and hyperthreading seems nice...)
- 6GB 1333Mhz DDR3 (from what I've seen there is no bang for the buck to go with anything faster)
- ATI HD5850 (should I spend the extra cash for the 5870? It seems like a bit overkill as I am not playing 1st person shooters)
- 1TB harddrive (are there any real performance differences here? Is 10000rpm boot drive worth it? SSD is too overpriced IMHO).
- Corsair H50 (seems like the best cpu cooler for SFF, especially for the case I have picked)
- 750W modular power supply (which brands are good bang for the buck?).

My budget is slightly flexible but I would like it to be good value...

Maybe the most interesting question here is - will this build run too hot? Would you recommend additional fans to be installed (if so - what kind of fans, brand etc...). Would i5 750 and the equivalent P55 mobo be a better alternative considering the lower heat?

Overall impressions are also much welcomed!

Thank you!

//R

More about : sff build

!