I am just about to start ordering parts for a SFF build.
I have been browsing the forums to get an idea of what components are good and what works well together. During the course of this I have built a fairly good understanding what I want.
This is the build that I have come up with:
- Silverstone Sugo SG04-H (I really would like a handle and this seems like a nice build, supports dual 5850s etc...)
- ASUS Rampage II Gene mATX (nice and easy OC capabilities for a novice like myself, good overall features and connectability)
- Intell i7 920 D0 (nice to have 2x 16x PCIe slots if I decide to go crossfire and hyperthreading seems nice...)
- 6GB 1333Mhz DDR3 (from what I've seen there is no bang for the buck to go with anything faster)
- ATI HD5850 (should I spend the extra cash for the 5870? It seems like a bit overkill as I am not playing 1st person shooters)
- 1TB harddrive (are there any real performance differences here? Is 10000rpm boot drive worth it? SSD is too overpriced IMHO).
- Corsair H50 (seems like the best cpu cooler for SFF, especially for the case I have picked)
- 750W modular power supply (which brands are good bang for the buck?).
My budget is slightly flexible but I would like it to be good value...
Maybe the most interesting question here is - will this build run too hot? Would you recommend additional fans to be installed (if so - what kind of fans, brand etc...). Would i5 750 and the equivalent P55 mobo be a better alternative considering the lower heat?
You've probably already built this by now but I have an almost identical build (EVGA board, 10000RPM boot HDD, 500GB data HDD, and silverstone NT06 cooler). I overclocked to 3.8GHz and the temps seem to be fine. I have the two 120mm fans as opposed to the one which certainly helps.