Help with New SSD in upgrading build!

NaryaMithrandir

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Hey guys! So firstly, thanks for taking the time to check out this post and trying to offer some help. This is my first time on the forum so forgive me if I miss something.

SO what I'm doing:

Currentlly I'm in the process of re-upgrading my computer. I have an EVGA Nforce 750i SLI FTW with Core2Quad 9400 (2.67GHz) and currently connected to it are two aging BFG 7800GTX (yeah BFG aren't even around anymore), OCZ 1066 DDR2 SD RAM (PC 6400) 2 X 2GB, 550 W Antec PSU, and two harddrives: a really old WD 160GB and WD Cacviar Blue 500GB (Master). To top it off everything runs on WinxP.

So what I'm putting in now is:

Crucial m4 SSD 128GB
ASUS ENGTX460 1GB OC
Win 7 Professional (working with the student upgrade, I'm planning on doing a clean install by installing twice, since I've burnt the .iso to disk, I'll install the first time without product key and then re-install with product key. The laptop I'm using is a successful victim.)

So I've migrated everything but the two new parts into a new computer case. I'm currently backing up files from both the old HDD and the Caviar onto external's, so I can wipe the two drives. But I know that I'm supposed to upgrade the firmware on my SSD before I install.

So should I plug in the SSD to the system as is, let windows xp detect it, and then download new firmware for it and then - THEN - wipe the drives, make the SSD master and install winxp onto the SSD, followed by upgrading to win 7, then re-installing win 7 as a clean install??

(Phew that was a heck of a run-on sentence) I'm sorry if this is a bit confusing.

If anyone can tell me a better way to sort this little mess out, I'd be super happy.

It's been a while since I've jumped into building again, and what's really got me worried is playing around with SSD's.

Please help!

And do ask if anymore info is needed.

Thanks,

NaryaMithrandir

Solution
^ +1
To expand on.
Disconnect all other drives. Only the SSD should be connected
Verify AHCI enabled.
DO NOT LOAD WINDOWS XP, even though you have a Upgrade copy of Windows 7
Select Custom Install. Install windows 7 - DO NOT ENTER KEY when asked.

Custom Install -Steps to follow:
Once the clean install is completed, you can let windows do it's update thing and load the needed drivers.
Everthing looks good, then just need two steps:
Edit the registry to change MediaBootInstall from a 1 to a 0.
Then run a cmd prompt (w/admin privliage) and do a rearm
Then Activate and insert the LAPTOP key.
REF: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media
Yes, Ive Have used this method on my new SB...
^ +1
To expand on.
Disconnect all other drives. Only the SSD should be connected
Verify AHCI enabled.
DO NOT LOAD WINDOWS XP, even though you have a Upgrade copy of Windows 7
Select Custom Install. Install windows 7 - DO NOT ENTER KEY when asked.

Custom Install -Steps to follow:
Once the clean install is completed, you can let windows do it's update thing and load the needed drivers.
Everthing looks good, then just need two steps:
Edit the registry to change MediaBootInstall from a 1 to a 0.
Then run a cmd prompt (w/admin privliage) and do a rearm
Then Activate and insert the LAPTOP key.
REF: http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media
Yes, Ive Have used this method on my new SB notebook. Used a upgrade windows disk to install windows (instead of the supplied disk) and used the laptop key, NOT the key on disk.

Here is the Link, Go to method2 - Use search function to find MediaBootInstall, simpler than keep scrolling down that LONG #@#$ list.

Solution

NaryaMithrandir

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Sorry I'm a bit confused here. So as of right now, I have XP on the Caviar drive. Should I just simply plug in the SSD as is, download the latest software, then shut down the computer. Then I'll disconnect the other two drives, and boot off win 7 upgrade cd and do a double install?

NaryaMithrandir

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Ok Will do. But when I plug the other drives back in, will there be any conflict as the old drive has XP installed on it?

NaryaMithrandir

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
OK now I have a big problem. I've migrated all the parts into the new case, have not installed the new graphics card or the ssd, just have it sitting in the case unplugged. The system is set up as previously. I turn it on and get the error

floppy disk fail 40
cmos checksum error defaults loaded

And then if I don't do anything, the computer shuts off in around 30 secs to a minute.

WHAT'S GOING ON??

The first thing I'd do is verify that all connectors from the PSU are good (ie disconnect and reconnect) - verify that you do have all the connected.

Disconnect all HDDs/ DVD drives/ Floopy drive (if you have). Should have just MB/CPU/Memory/one GPU connected. Jumper the clear CMOS terminal for 5 min and remove jumper. Retry to see if it boots to error " no operating system" or just see if you can get into bios.

NaryaMithrandir

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I did as you said where I disconected everything but the MN CPU Memory GPU. I hit the CMOS Clear button. I then turned on the device

It runs into black screen and says it sees the CPU and memory and then says none to IDE and SATA's.

But then it says

Floppy DIsks fail (40)
CMOS checksum error degaults loaded

I can press F1 to continue or Del to enter BIOS, but I just let it sit there for a minute. It shut off in two minutes.

But now, it shuts off almost even before the system runs upto display the errors.

This is really confusing.

Also, don't know if this is important, but the POST code displayed is 7F.

NaryaMithrandir

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I hit F1 and it gives me a DISK BOOT FAILURE message.

I let the computer sit for 15 minutes, and turned it on again. It stayed on while I flicked around the BIOS for a bit and turned off.

It keeps shutting off, anywhere between 10 seconds of turning the system on to 5minutes.