Sign in with
Your question

Looking for opinions - some minor build issues

Last response: in Systems
November 6, 2009 4:01:28 PM

Hi all, Here's my current build.

Gigabyte P55A-UD4P mobo

i7-860

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH - Retail (All x2 for 8GB of system ram)
Item #: N82E16820231279

Cooler Master Intel Core i5 compatible Hyper TX3 Socket 775/1156/AMD 130W 92mm "heatpipe direct contact" CPU Cooler RR-910-HTX3-GP - Retail
Item #: N82E16835103064

Assembled into an older case with a 520 watt Crucial PS, and older cdrom/dvd

Current harddrives are loaded with 32 bit XP - Full backup has been made to an external hd

New 64 bit windows 7 installation is to be part of this build

OK...Wierdness number 1:

In spite of the nearly inscrutable instructions on assembling the Cooler master hsf bracket and fan, I strongly believe I assembled it correctly.

The system posted fine, and the fans were spinning. I was part way thru setting up the bios, when the system shut down. After a bit of trial and error, I found the cooler master 92mm fan was only spinning for a second or two, and then it was stopping. Of course, then the cpu did a thermal shutdown. HOPEFULLY not becoming damaged in the process.

I replaced the cooler master hsf with the default one that came stock with the i7. It spun just fine, and the computer appeared to work ok. I assume this means the mobo, and power system is working ok. Assuming the 92mm fan was just defective, I brought it to work (Engineering firm) with the idea of buying a replacement at lunch. We put 12vdc onto the fan, just for fun...and it spun just fine. I don't know how the sensor and pulse circuits work, so I didn't look into it any more. Running full speed, this was one quiet fan.

Question 1: What problems would be mine if I just clipped the leads for the sensor/pulse, and just ran the fan full out?

Question 2: Anyone have experience with a cpu going into thermal shutdown. Is the CPU able to recover completely undamaged after reaching that temp (perhaps 90C?)

Wierdness #2:

Once I re-installed the stock hsf, I was able to proceed with setup. Once the bios was setup, I put the 64bit windows 7 dvd in the cdrom, set the bois to boot from cdrom, and booted. The screen displayed black with a white progress bar at the bottom, and the text, "Windows is loading". Ok...seemed fine, however, once the progress bar reached the end, the screen never moved on to the next phase.

I wonder if the problem is the presence of 32bit xp on the hard drives. I wonder if 64 bit windows 7 would install fine if I offered it a virgin harddrive. ( I have several, I was just going to setup a raid 0 for work data later once things were up and running.)

Question #3: Anyone else have any issues like this when installing 64 bit windows 7 over a prevsious 32 bit xp?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
November 6, 2009 6:05:58 PM

I'm not sure about Wierdness #1 :na: , but Wierdness #2 is quite common. It takes a while for the initial phase of the installation to get going. I had the same experience, got the "Windows is loading" screen, and after that was just that blue Windows 7 screen. I waited for a while but it wouldn't move on so I eventually gave up. I turned off the PC, started the installation again and went for dinner. When I came back, it was good to go. Just have a bit more patience ;) 
m
l
!