2500K +hyper 212+ = REALLY hot temps

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Hi all,

I recently built my 2nd PC (first one was in 2008) and I am having problems with my temps.

I have a 2500K with a hyper 212+ OCed to 4.2ghz (100x42) in a HAF 932 case
My CPU voltage is 1.95.

My problem is that my idle temps are good at 33-34c (but that is when the multiplier drops to 16)

When I game in BF3, my highest core temps are reaching 77C!

When I run prime 95 or intel burn in I hit 95c in about 30 seconds and doesn't drop. I stopped the test because I didn't want to keep it there too long.

I already reseated and reapplied my thermal paste (arctic silver 5) so I am at a complete loss.

I never got these kind of temps on my MSI p6n platinum/Q6600

I am really at a loss. I know I have good air flow but is this chip really that much hotter in general or am I missing something here?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

These are my specs

2500K OC = 4.2ghz @1.2v
CM Hyper 212+
Asus P8Z68 Pro V Gen3
Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Corsair TX850
Galaxy GTX580
HAF 932

Solution
yep cooler is not seated proper, or you are using WAY too much paste... just a little dab will do ya. Thermal paste is not a good conductor of heat... just a better heat conductor than air is so you get the air out of the imperfections between the CPU and cooler. So a little paste gets the air out and makes things nice, but too much paste acts like a thermos and insulates the CPU, which makes it toasty.

i7 2600 Hyper 212Evo with 2 Enermax low RPM fans set at slowest speed (roughly the same airflow as the stock cooler... just less noise), and I used some arctic silver 5 I had left over from another project, but the paste they provide is pretty good: idle at 28*c, max temp under stress test 33*c
Granted, my system is not OC'd, but...

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
Yes sorry I meant 1.195V. It is odd though. Every time I restart my PC, it changed my OC to my BLK 100.33 and my multiplier to 37. I am not sure how or why it is doing that.

I will try to reseat again today and use a different method with the paste. Thanks!

dpa1991

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Sounds like you still have the intel turbo mode on, I havent had much time to play with my computer (Just built a 2500k build my self) so I can't tell you what to do to turn it off.

as for the heats, I don't know I have the hyper 212 Evo and my idle is 30-33c and @4.5Ghz with prime95 I peak at 55-65C cant remember

Cryosis00

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
You have speed stepping enabled in the bios. This will reduce your multipler and voltage when your computer is idle and increase it accordingly up to your current 42x100 multiplier.

That being said the speed step isnt the issue.

What program are you using to measure temps?

What method did you use to apply the thermal paste, ie how much did you put on your cpu?

How is the airflow in your current case?

I would also return your cpu to stock setting and run Prime 95 again and record your temps.

Your temps are high but 77C is not crazy. Understand Prime 95 stresses your cpu beyond anything you will run on a normal basis. Temps in Prime 95 will be higher than at any other time.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

in no way is 77*c normal for bf3 gameplay. that would be normal for a 4.6ish overclock with a 212 in prime95. not a 4.2 ghz overclock playing bf3.

yep cooler is not seated proper, or you are using WAY too much paste... just a little dab will do ya. Thermal paste is not a good conductor of heat... just a better heat conductor than air is so you get the air out of the imperfections between the CPU and cooler. So a little paste gets the air out and makes things nice, but too much paste acts like a thermos and insulates the CPU, which makes it toasty.

i7 2600 Hyper 212Evo with 2 Enermax low RPM fans set at slowest speed (roughly the same airflow as the stock cooler... just less noise), and I used some arctic silver 5 I had left over from another project, but the paste they provide is pretty good: idle at 28*c, max temp under stress test 33*c
Granted, my system is not OC'd, but those are the kinds of temps you should expect from this cooler at stock.

Solution

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

This is a link which is provided by Tom's Hardware how to overclock i5 2500K and i7 2600K
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

I reseated and the temps didn't shoot up again to 95c like they did before, but hovered around 77c using prime95 for about 15 mins or so. I made sure the Hyper 212+ was installed correctly. I added the correct amount of Arctic Silver 5 so I know that is not the issue.

The first time I applied the paste I spread it over the CPU with a credit card (thin layer). When I pulled the heat sink off it did not seem to cover much of the pipes. When I reseated, I used the parallel line method directly to the heat sink and made sure everything else was oriented correctly.

I am using CoreTemp and Asus AI Suite II to view my temps and CPUID-Z to check my voltage.

When I returned to factory settings, I ran prime 95 and was hovering around 62-65c after about 15-20 mins.

My airflow is fine I think as well as my cable management, I have the HAF 932 set up the way it came (I believe it is a push set up)

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

So is it possible that the parallel lines I placed on the heatsink did not suffice? Should I try to smear a thin layer over the pipes with a credit card instead?

EDIT: I added a second fan to the heatsink. I ran prime95 for about 10 mins and my temps never got over 74c (on a single core). I was using RealTemp and CoreTemp this time just to be sure. Are those acceptable temps? Is it possible I just have a crappy chip?

When I added the second fan I notice there was a little (and I mean little) play on the HSF where I could twists it back and forth. I found that bracket the 212 came with to be a real pain to install, especially that nob in the middle the bracket that tightens the bracket to the HSF. Should there be any play at all on this thing because I tightened everything the best I could, even that middle nob? Or should I give the nob a couple more twists (its hard because I have fat fingers!).

Thanks for all your help so far!!!!

cbrunnem

Distinguished

those temps arent going to hurt anything but they are not good. i still think something is wrong. when you have taken the heatsink off does the bottom of it have a layer of paste all the way across? also try using a different temp monitoring program.

I'm not that up on the hyper 212 other than what I've read. There are some youtube videos on installation. The Hyper is probably much easer than my 9900 max. While I love it, I could not apply enough pressure to get the last screw in - used a slightly longer screw. The supplied screws should all be about an 1/8" longer.

Myself, I would probably use the credit card to fill the voids with almost none on the flat surfaces. then apply a VERY thin coat to the cpu using a latex glove and finger to smear the thin coat - but then thats me.

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

OK, I'll look at the youtube videos again and try the paste method above. Is it possible to over tighten the back plate (yes it is on correctly)?

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

Ok good. I didn't use a rachet set or anything lol, but I got them screw driver tight on there. I'll mess with it again tonight and see if it changes anything and let you all know.

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
UPDATE: OK, so I pulled everything out of my computer, reseated my cpu, tightened the nuts on the hyper 212 backplate, reapplied paste but this time spreading it across the heat sink filling in the gaps from the pipes and also added a REALLY thin coat to the CPU.

Booted up with the turbo enabled (3.7ghz), ran prime95 and within 3 minutes I was around 70c <sigh>

I am starting to wonder if my chip is bad or the HSF is bad. Since the cut out on my HAF932 doesn't line up with the back of the CPU area, I'll need to take it all out again and try just the stock cooler and see what that gets me. I'm feeling pretty frustrated right now!

cbrunnem

Distinguished

you could have a bad chip or cooler but you better decide if thats the case before 30 days are up or you will have to deal with intel or coolermaster.

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I agree. Luckily I bought them from Amazon and they don't charge a restock fee. I can even get 1 day shipping for free of a replacement. Regardless, I might just swap both of them out and try a fresh product. Thanks!

UPDATE: I received a new chip and new HSF from Amazon today. Installed and ran Prime95 for about 20 mins. Within the first two tests my temps rose to 67-68c and stayed there throughout the rest of the test. Oddly, my 0 Core was at 61-62c the whole time and my other three cores were at 67-68. Are these temps acceptable considering the HSF I am using?

jrgleason2003

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
UPDATE: I ended up tossing the 212+ (well I will keep it for a pinch) and decided to try my hand at liquid cooling so I could OC further. I bought the H100 with some extra cash I ran into. Hopefully this will work better for me! Thank you all for your help!

The H80 and H100 are not much better than the hyper coolers (though quieter per thermal dissipation), and these are LCLs (liquid cooling loops), which is nowhere near the performance (or expense) of a true water cooling setup.

Keep in mind that your temps depend on a lot more than your cooler; It is affected by your ambient temp, you case temp, how much heat your other components give off, how much fresh air vs recycled air is in the case, etc.

Good luck