Sign in with
Your question

Will I need to buy a new power supply?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 14, 2009 6:16:20 AM

I have a Radeon HD 4870 X2, with an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 2.83GHz. I have 4 gigs of RAM, and Windows Vista 64 bit. I'd like to get an XFX HD-477A-YDFC Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card, and run it in Crossfire. Right now I have an 800 Watt power supply. Should that be sufficient? Please, if you say no, really mean it. I think a power supply above 800 Watts runs at around a $100, so unless it's a real threat to messing up my system, please understand that I am sort of short on cash right now.

Thank you.

More about : buy power supply

November 14, 2009 6:27:56 AM

What are you crossfiring it to? it's not equiped to run with the 4870x2.
Power supply is plenty big.
November 14, 2009 6:32:03 AM

roonj said:
What are you crossfiring it to? it's not equiped to run with the 4870x2.
Power supply is plenty big.

I have almost no knowledge of computers, so I'm sorry, but, what do you mean by you first sentence? I suppose I would be trying to crossfire it to the card I mentioned. Or do you mean my motherboard? And dang, it wont run in crossfire with my current card? Oh well, at least when I find one that will, I shouldnt probably need a new power supply :/ 

Thanks
Related resources
November 14, 2009 6:33:06 AM

I found this link and it has a similar question. You might want to check out the answers.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/246614-28-question-po...

One other thing, you might want to get a wind turbine going above your house to help generate energy for the amount of power a bigger power supply would need :) 
November 14, 2009 6:35:10 AM

Geef said:
I found this link and it has a similar question. You might want to check out the answers.

One other thing, you might want to get a wind turbine going above your house to help generate energy for the amount of power a bigger power supply would need :) 

Are you referring to my 800 Watt by "a bigger power supply", or do you think I need something of higher wattage?
November 14, 2009 6:35:38 AM

Geef said:

Oh yeah, thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it :) 
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
November 14, 2009 12:05:08 PM

Geef said:

A psu doesn't draw more than is needed to power the system it's in, doesn't matter if it's a 800 watt unit or a 1200 watt unit.

!