TiVo Vonage activate Guided Setup

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 18, 2005 12:06:12 AM

9-17-05

Hope this helps some folks. It worked for me.

After searching on the Internet, I found the solution. Just wanted to post
incase others need it.

Successfully setup my TiVO with Vonage VOIP service without landline phone
service.

Unplugged my phone and plugged in TiVO Series 2 to my LINKSYS (Cisco) phone
adapter.

The key is the prefix for TiVo to dial and turn off call waiting.

The prefix must tell TiVo to slow the transfer rate down...I guess. Not sure
that matters.

Prefix - ",#034" that's comma pound zero 34
turn off call waiting with "*99" that's star99

another prefix which someone else said worked for them was ",#019" that's
comma pound zero 19

Good luck. It beats bugging and lugging to a friends house for setup.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 2:12:39 PM

<Al.B.Bach@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 9-17-05
>
> Hope this helps some folks. It worked for me.
>
> After searching on the Internet, I found the solution. Just wanted to post
> incase others need it.
>
> Successfully setup my TiVO with Vonage VOIP service without landline phone
> service.
>

> Unplugged my phone and plugged in TiVO Series 2 to my LINKSYS (Cisco)
> phone
> adapter.
>
> The key is the prefix for TiVo to dial and turn off call waiting.
>
> The prefix must tell TiVo to slow the transfer rate down...I guess. Not
> sure
> that matters.
>
> Prefix - ",#034" that's comma pound zero 34
> turn off call waiting with "*99" that's star99
>
> another prefix which someone else said worked for them was ",#019" that's
> comma pound zero 19
>

> Good luck. It beats bugging and lugging to a friends house for setup.

Did this work for the initial first time out of the box setup for TiVo? When
I got my latest TiVo I tried all of this and more and still ended up taking
the TiVo to the office to complete the initial 2 calls (phone # list, huge
software download). After that it worked fine over the phone until I plugged
it into the home network and bid farewell to the phone connection.
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 1:10:12 AM

Yes. This worked right out of the box.

A side note: that I did purchase a new Linksys wireless router and a new
cable modem from Cox Cable.

We were having dropped calls with Vonage after say 90 minutes or so with
about a 3 year (2002) old Linksys router. Once we replaced the router, we
have not had one dropped call and the quality is better.

If you have an older type of router or modem, this might be an issue. But
that's just a guess.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 26, 2005 1:18:35 AM

In article <zlEZe.27119$8q.18362@lakeread01>, Al.B.Bach@hotmail.com
wrote:

> Yes. This worked right out of the box.
>
> A side note: that I did purchase a new Linksys wireless router and a new
> cable modem from Cox Cable.
>
> We were having dropped calls with Vonage after say 90 minutes or so with
> about a 3 year (2002) old Linksys router. Once we replaced the router, we
> have not had one dropped call and the quality is better.
>
> If you have an older type of router or modem, this might be an issue. But
> that's just a guess.

Or maybe your old router just needed a firmware update?
July 5, 2007 4:26:44 PM

I have a Humax Series 2, a Vonage modem, a regular Linksys router, and a linksys 200m ethernet adapter (which part of it broke off, i have to tape the cable to it!grr).. everything was working fine with my refurbished box (now i'm on the 3rd box) until a few weeks ago when it froze and i had to get a new box sent out since the scandisk command didn't work.. now i'm going through the craziness with the initial call setup.. i have tried all the prefixes, every possible combination.. i have even unplugged the ethernet cable from the tivo that goes to the router and routed to the ethernet port directly on the Vonage modem.. no luck yet.. everytime I try a prefix i have to hold the ethernet cable against the contacts on the adapter, it is so frustrating.. i'll probably buy a new adapter, but i don't think that it is the adapter.. Humax tech support was idiotic, they said that the adapter isn't compatible.. then how did i get it to work 4 months ago, was it magic? why does tivo list the Linksys200m adapter if it isn't compatible? anyone have any advice? i'm about to sue HumaxTivo since I have now spent over $900 on Tivo since they love to ship old software on new boxes, they don't include ethernet jacks yet they support broadband, etc..
November 17, 2008 8:16:27 AM

Thanx, that ,#034 worked great. Now if only I could get my Linksys WUSB54GSC to work with it. Any suggestions?
October 30, 2009 1:30:54 PM

getinhot
series 2
MagicJack Success

In search of a land line, I took the Tivo and a 13" TV to my brother's house.

It downloaded and then it started a lot of questions about how it was going

to be used. I thought I could answer those at home. Aaaaaaannntttt! Never

unplug it at that point because it will start Guided Setup all over again.

Just for kicks I plugged into the MagicJack at home and after about a million

prefix variations attempts, it downloaded! This is a first, set the prefix,

when it ask if it needs to dial 9, to (,#401,). That's pause pound 4 0 1 pause

Works for me! Good luck.

!