Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Virtual PC

Last response: in Windows 7
October 9, 2011 12:12:22 AM

I everyone, thanks in advance for your answer. I'm a new builder looking for a good multitask/game performing build. There is no budget limitation since I'm making little money from the web with my PC,so the investment is worth the little extra cost if it allow me to push this a little more.

Actually I run 1 Vmware and would like to run at least two and maybe more if I can (4 depending on the build) wile playing the latest game on my hdtv with good screen setting. (skyrim, Battlefield 3, Diablo 3) and do so without turning anything off.
(if it's possible)

I was looking at;
I7 2600k,
16gb Corsair vengeance 1600 CL8 or 9 (2gb each vmware),
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z,
SSD caching,
A Good GTX 580 (SLI if needed) don't know if VM will affect performance of GPUs,
Maybe a sound card to plug my AudioEngine speakers in.

Question:

Will the virtual PC affect game performance (CPU limitation of some sort)?
Does the GPU performance will be affected by the virtual pc?
did I need something more powerful then what I'm looking at?
Is it only possible to run 4 virtual machine and play high demanding games?
Is it better to make two different computer for each purpose (vmware and gaming)
etc...

Thanks and sorry for my poor English

More about : virtual

Best solution

a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 9, 2011 12:57:23 AM

If you're running the game INSIDE a virtual machine, then performance will be affected because of the virtualization of the display interface.

If you're running the game on the host OS itself, then performance should only be affected if the game is memory-limited or if the CPUs / disks are busy due to VM activity.
October 9, 2011 1:23:35 AM

sminlal said:
If you're running the game INSIDE a virtual machine, then performance will be affected because of the virtualization of the display interface.

If you're running the game on the host OS itself, then performance should only be affected if the game is memory-limited or if the CPUs / disks are busy due to VM activity.

Thanks for the answer Sminlal!

I think the activity of the apps I'm running in the VM are not to demanding on the CPU. Each VM will be running a game that is not really demanding (magic online, it's a card trading game) and an application (MTGO library) waiting for ̎ customer ̎ to trade with it. So is it reasonable to think I might run 2 VM and play a game at the same time and how can I notice if it's too much?
Thanks!

By memory limited you mean not enough RAM?
Score
Related resources
October 9, 2011 9:12:16 AM

Hi, as I know, the VM OS could only support at most 128MB GPU, I don't think you could play high demanding games, and VM could not suppot 3D Direct or 3D accelerated also. Therefore I think you could only play some simple game in VM, such as Solitaire, Minesweeper,
Score
a c 209 $ Windows 7
October 9, 2011 3:21:12 PM

It sounds like you should retain most of your performance with that kind of activity in your VMs. By "memory limited" I mean that the VM's are using enough memory that the game you're running in the host OS doesn't have enough to run optimally.
Score
October 9, 2011 9:10:45 PM

thanks for your answer, I'll try two VMs and will see!
Score
October 16, 2011 3:28:09 AM

Best answer selected by ppbbr72.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 16, 2011 4:48:47 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!