Sign in with
Your question
Solved

High cpu temps. Need CPU fan/heatsink replacement

Last response: in Overclocking
March 19, 2012 1:31:31 PM

I have been experiencing high cpu temps when idle and gaming. During idle it's on 60C and during full load it goes to 80C-100C. Now that's hot! If I game and it goes to 100C+, it'll shut my computer off, I'm guessing this is due to overheating. I have a stock AMD athlon ii x3 435 processor fan and heatsink. I've had this stock fan for about 2-3 years. What could be causing the problem?? If I can't fix it, I'll have to buy a new fan. Help me find a new fan and heatsink that will fit in a small case and micro atx mobo. Please!

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2012 1:50:03 PM

Hello,

Sounds like you need to re-apply your thermal paste between your CPU and the heat sink. Either that or you heatsink isn't mounted properly.

Use some 95+% isopropyl and some Q-tips to clean off the old thermal paste from the CPU and HSF. When you clean it with the isopropyl - you just need to make the Q tips damp, and not wet. Re-apply some new thermal paste once done.
March 19, 2012 6:56:10 PM

How should i apply the thermal paste? small grain? Comepletely on the cpu? I never did this before and I'm kind of afraid to. AHHH. Also, Should i purchase the arctic cooler 5 thermal paste thing since everyone says its the best..
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2012 7:25:13 PM

Hmm there are quite a few ways to apply the thermal paste.

Some people like to drop a pea-size amount in the center - then let the Heat sink do the spreading itself once you clamp it down.

Others like to spread it even with a credit card (this is what I did) over the CPU itself.

And don't be afraid to put thermal paste on your CPU, as long as you don;t put too much on, it should be good.

Heres a nice litte guide it's older but still works, I reccomend reading through them both:

http://www.techpowerup.com/printarticle.php?id=134

or this:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/How-To-Correctly...
m
l
March 24, 2012 11:07:07 PM

My Arctic silver 5 thermal paste finally came and I applied it after removing the old thermal paste. It was easy! I did the pea-size method as I believe it is the best method. Anyways, turned computer on and I look at the temps on speedfan and it stays idle at 31C. Haha that's way better than 55-60C I was getting last time. Thanks Chainzsaw!
m
l
March 24, 2012 11:07:45 PM

Best answer selected by solo2o9.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2012 1:41:01 PM

solo2o9 said:
Best answer selected by solo2o9.

n
n
solo2o9 said:
My Arctic silver 5 thermal paste finally came and I applied it after removing the old thermal paste. It was easy! I did the pea-size method as I believe it is the best method. Anyways, turned computer on and I look at the temps on speedfan and it stays idle at 31C. Haha that's way better than 55-60C I was getting last time. Thanks Chainzsaw!

n
nNice. You must have done a good job to get the way lower temps! Take care.
m
l
!