Newer cpu use less power?

behour

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I have an old computer and I am wondering if I an upgraded cpu will be better performance and power wise? I have an Intel Pentium 4 560 Prescott 3.6ghz ht cpu.

I can surprisingly watch most hd movies with out too many hiccups but this is my mine primary focus. Of course I wouldn’t want to down grade in any regard.

Yes behour as Intel and AMD shrink their process technology and improve power saving techniques and efficiency (IPC) the latest cpu's perform better.

What mobo do you have for that system ... you may be able to swap the cpu for a dual core core2 cpu ... and leave the rest of the system as it is ... at least for an easy upgrade in the short term.

The core2 cpus cam out first in a 65nm Conroe (dual core) and Kentsfield (quad core) package and are a lot more efficient than the Pentium 4 (Netburst) processor that you have.

Let us know what you have ... you might be able to get a bit more life out of the system you have ... and a bit of a performance boost too.

behour

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Well sadly this is an old dell xps 3 computer. So I will probably have to buy a new computer?

Property Value
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0K3464
Serial Number ..CN4811147200BF.

North Bridge Intel i925X Revision B1
South Bridge Intel 82801FB (ICH6) Revision B1

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 6 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction Single-bit ECC

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Property Value
Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / One Core / 2 Logical Processors / 32 bits
CPU Full Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
CPU Name Intel Pentium 4 560
CPU Code Name Prescott
Platform Name Socket 775 LGA
Revision D0
Technology 90 nm
Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, HT
Original Clock 3600 MHz
Original System Clock 200 MHz
Original Multiplier 18.0
CPU Clock 3592 MHz
System Clock 199.5 MHz
FSB 798.1 MHz
Core 0 Speed 3591.6 MHz
Core 0 Multiplier 18.0
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kuops
L2 Cache 1024 KBytes

We have a few Dell experts here ... alas I am not one of them.

As a general rule the 915/925 chipset doesn't support core2 CPU's ... well at least the older 65nm ones ... so I can't say for sure whether you can do a simple cpu swap for some extra horespower ... like for instance an E6700 dual core.

If you can't do a cpu upgrade then I would seriously look at a new case, cu, ram, etc ... a proper upgrade - the new core i5 and i3's are starting to drop in price ... they might be worth considering, otherwise a Phenom II (quad or triple core).

Alternatively look at an i7 system if you want a top flight system upgrade.

You won't be able to use the old Dell case ... possibly the HDD and Graphics card though ... but I would recomment you look at new ones anyway.

Possibly retire the old PC to the wife ... and get yourself a complete new one !!

Cheers.
I am keen to see if someone else can help out here ?

behour

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I was hopping I would not have to dish out $500 bucks when I just needed a little more power.

Well this is my mistake for buying instead of making I suppose.
It will find a new owner so I guess I can save some cash instead of buying two new computers.

I'll probably make a new topic asking on some help with this. I often seem to over spend.

Well good luck with everything and keep us posted when your ready to buy a new one ... in the meantime run cleandisk / defrag and backup all of your important stuff so your ready to jump across and into a more sporty PC when the time comes.

PC's are a lot cheaper now ... you can get a big boost in performance.

Take a look at the recommended builds on the front page of THG ... there are three price categories and the article is a pretty good one to look at for advice.

Cheers !