Front Panel Cable Connectors Too Tall for Graphics Card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

samJL

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
I am using the following components:

GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128444

LIAN LI PC-A71F Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112244

XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

I am trying to install the XFX graphics card into the bottom PCIe slot (the top one will also have an XFX, for Crossfire)

Unfortunately the system control pins (PWR, RST, HDD LED, PWR LED, etc) are directly in line with the PCIe slot, and the XFX is long enough that it sits on top of these control pins

See the picture here:
xfx.jpg

You can see the black corner of the graphics card pushing down on the connectors-- it cannot seat correctly. If I do not have the connectors present, the graphics card will seat correctly.

It basically comes down to the fact (other than Gigabyte's strange placement) that the Lian Li's front panel connectors are too tall. Has anyone ever heard of a low-profile front cable connector adapter? Or could I simply cut the connectors so that they are shorter, therefore giving my graphics card enough clearance?

I am a little shocked that Gigabyte would design a Crossfire board -- knowing of larger graphics cards-- and put the power connectors directly in line with the PCIe slot.........

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Solution

ram1009

Distinguished
IMHO, it's a toss up who's at fault here. I would notify both the MB & GPU OEMs but they will probably blame each other. Personally, I wouldn't blame the box maker for this. I STRONGLY discourage gluing wires to your MB. If this were mine I would try returning one or both items in favor of some I had researched better. If you're stuck with the components try modifying the corner of the fan shroud just enough to clear and then covering any air escape paths with tape if necessary. I'd use aluminum tape but others would work. Good luck.

So you wouldn't reccomend a non destructive mod;
Hot melt glue; not hot enough to damage the board or connector, strong enough to keeep the pins from being inadvertently knocked around, and removes without leaving a trace
But you would reccomend physically damaging the card, most likely voiding it's warranty, and throwing some metal tape into the mix :eek:

PS;
No one's at fault, try as they might they just can't make sure that all parts are compatible all of the time.

^Aluminium is conductive Dell but I share your opinion on other grounds,
rather chop/remove a 2p connector than slice up a $$$/£££ graphics card shroud :p
if you have to destroy something out of necessity, make it the cheapest component
hehe
I dont glue pins myself but I also dont see the harm in a little extra security
and yes, its no-ones 'fault' its just a small thing Op has to workaround, happens all the time on builds as I'm sure you know :)
Moto

samJL

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

Sure

I am holding off on the Xfire until the HD series 7 is released

I am planning on using extenders-- taking the boxes off of those and folding the wires

That way I don't risk damaging the Lian Li's cable, nor will i need to label the cables

It's also possible that the series 7 will clear the pins enough that it won't be a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.