Overclocking a Intel Core2 Duo?

Ok,
I am need of a little help on overclocking my CPU.
I just want to tweak it a bit so that it will have a faster ghz.
My specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz
3GB DDR2 ram
600 WT PSU
MCP73M01H1 (Napa) motherboard
I was hoping to bring my 2.4ghz processor up to maybe 2.6-2.8 or higher, and im not sure what to do.
I know i also gotta increase the power to it as well.
So i was hoping if anyone could possibly help me on it.
8 answers Last reply
More about overclocking intel core2
  1. I'm afraid that since this is a HP OEM board, it will not be easy to everclock or may not even be overclockable at all.
  2. Yeah i know already, ill have to put my newer motherboard in when i get a bigger case.
  3. 775 socket (yours) are getting hard to find. If you already have one, definitely use it. I have never seen an off the shelf PC (such as dell or HP) where the BIOS supports overclocking.
  4. Its not hard to do. In the bios set the multiplier to 10 and the bus speed to say 300. That will get you a speed of 3.0. You may have to change the memory settings also. You can tweek the O.C up or down by adjusting multiplier and/or the bus speed. You may not have to touch the power. My e7300 is running at 3.49 with ddr2 800 ram set to 844. I did not change my power settings. You may need a new heatsink and fan if you are going to try for a heavy o.c. but my e7300 was fine on the intel cooler up to appx 3.0. It ran a little loud though. Im using a Xigmatic Loki cooler now. $22. when I bought it . What new motherboard do you have?
  5. P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP
    http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5N32SLI_PremiumWiFiAP/
    its sitting in my room for over the past year.
    Just wonding what size case would i need?
    mid or full?
  6. Atx mobo, either will do. But you are spending money on an outdated tech when you can get a Sandy Bridge Pentium cpu and mobo for appx $125. I can tell you if you game my overclocked c2d rig will only get 40 fps max on a game such as Skyrim. It will start up windows quick and run multi task ops ok. If you are going to buy a new case, overclock, and perhaps buy a heatsink/fan, you may be better off with a matx mobo that fits in your case now and a new non overclocked pentium cpu and ddr3 mem.Then use the psu and internal hardware that you have.
  7. 40 max?
    I already get that just running my settings in High.
    Im also running a GTS 450.
    So my video card makes up for half of it.
    Not everything in my computer is made by HP.
    I replaced my, Ram, CPU, Video card, PSU.
  8. Evolution0521 said:
    40 max?
    I already get that just running my settings in High.
    Im also running a GTS 450.
    So my video card makes up for half of it.
    Not everything in my computer is made by HP.
    I replaced my, Ram, CPU, Video card, PSU.

So with a good overclock you may get more fps. The C2Ds are good overclockers.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Intel